E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HxC in EII+HD. Disk 1 or 2?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:48:27 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  HxC in EII+HD. Disk 1 or 2?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HxC in EII+HD. Disk 1 or 2?  (Read 3286 times)
punkdisco

« on: June 19, 2014, 12:14:20 AM »

Whilst waiting for my HxC to arrive I have read everything I can find on the HxC install. It is extremely well documented but,I can not find any info on recommended setups in the HD.

I intend to install the HxC where the existing floppy is, above the HD, but:

After there any advantages in making the HxC drive 1 or 2? I think I would still want to boot off the HD as I assume it will be faster? In which case the HxC will need to be drive 2?

Thanks for any pointers..

Paul
London

punkdisco

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 11:40:07 AM »

Drive arrived today, just in time for the weekend!  Unfortunately, Im short of a cable so off to Maplin tomorrow.

Im still planning putting the HxC as drive 2 so I can still do quicker OS loading from the HD.

Any views please?

thanks,

Paul

rtech

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:12:35 PM »

You cant select what drive the HD is set to. I believe that if you have an EII HD the floppy is always set to 1. Remember the HD on the EII is early SCSI so it has a small daughter board that goes where the floppy controller chip goes then the floppy controller chip sits on the daughter board. I know this because I have an EII + HD that I removed the Hard Drive and converted it to just a EII +. The EII+HD has a different Main Firmware/EPROM, so I had to change it. The boot process starts by checking if there is a disk in the floppy drive and tries to boot from it, if there isnt one then it boots from the HD. Or the other way around it, its been a while since I used my EII, since its currently not working (power supply issue).
punkdisco

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 04:28:00 AM »

Hey rtech

Thanks for the reply.  Yeah, I see what you mean.   There was no decissions required.  Just simply attached a 3.5” connector to the existing floppy ribbon cable and it all worked fine (after quite a few hours of investigation on the HxC front..).

Thanks again for the reply..

Paul
London
www.punkdisco.co.uk

EII4ever

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 02:24:57 PM »

Hi,

I know this is an older post but I'm about to decide what to do with the EII+HD I have. Would you recommend HxC? If so version F (black one). Would I need other bits & pieces to go with it?

About the question disk 1 or 2 are there any updates?

Thanks in advance
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HxC in EII+HD. Disk 1 or 2?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines