E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - FLYS_ALAN

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:30:25 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  FLYS_ALAN
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: FLYS_ALAN  (Read 4947 times)
majora

« on: July 13, 2014, 12:21:29 PM »

Wondering if anyone has had any luck with converting the 'FLYS_ALAN' .EB2 (which contains banks from 'Fly On The Windscreen' as well as 'Walking In My Shoes') to any other sampler format.

Been playing around with EMXP to see what can be done with it, but it seems as though the bank just doesn't want to cooperate with it, only ever got so far as extracting the samples from it and converting what little could be converted to an .SF2 file (which is missing voices and has incorrect settings).

majora

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »

Looking into it a little more. Not all that much of an expert on things like these, but upon closer inspection on the FLYS_ALAN soundbank, it appears as though there are two voices (voices 31 and 34, specifically) that are giving EMXP an 'error 24' (invalid bank backup status in disk image catalogue).

I was wondering if EMXP is capable of deleting these two specific corrupt EMAX voices from soundbank files like these, which may help the program more easily convert the entire soundbank to other sampler formats
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 03:57:11 AM »

Actually error 24 on "voice" level means that there's a corrupt Velocity routing defined in that voice.
As far as I remember quite some banks from the AW collection suffer from corrupt parameters. I'm still wondering how DM created these banks ;-) ... and how they could use them in the studio and on stage.
The problem can have been caused more recently though, by the disk recovery procedure they had to do before the disk could be put into auction (I have been told the original AW hard disk was corrupt/not working anymore, so that disk had to be repaired first before it could be copied it to the ZIP disks which were sold in the auction).

Anyway: I'm considering to add a new feature in EMXP which will be able to automatically replace corrupt parameters by correct parameters. These corrected parameter values would simply be the sampler's default settings for the corrupted parameters. EMXP currently refuses to convert presets which contain corrupt voices (even if only one of them is corrupt) - by automatically "defaulting" the corrupt parameters, the conversion will not be refused anymore. So it would be a nice feature I guess...
I can't promise however when this new feature will be released. It probably won't be part of the next version v3.01, perhaps it will be part of v3.02.

In the meanwhile, if you would really like a corrected version of this sound bank, and you don't have an Emax-II to correct these voice parameters yourself, feel free to send me that bank by e-mail. I will then replace these two corrupt parameter values to the default values by using a "hex editor", and I will send you the corrected bank file...

majora

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 07:37:14 PM »

Ah, sounds about right. I believe Walking In My Shoes' distorted harpsichord/piano set utilises parameters controlled by velocity in some way, which might be what's giving EMXP that error message.

That would be a great feature, would simplify issues like these so well.

Thank you, that would be wonderful, I'll upload a copy of the bank image for you right now. Ironically enough, I'm expecting a refurbished EMAX II with a new power supply to be delivered sometime this coming Monday, (although I don't have physical copies of the banks on floppy disk, unfortunately, will have to look into writing the .EB2s to disk at some point soon).

Here's a copy of the .EB2:
https://www.sendspace.com/file/5ok3q5
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »

After some investigation, nothing seems to be wrong with this DM EB2 file.
I have to admit it is EMXP which was wrong here  Wink

There was a small bug in EMXP which caused the "corrupt voice error 24" message when encountering negative settings for the Velocity-to-Resonance parameter.
(BTW: this Velocity setting is the only one in the Emax which can have a negative value)

I have fixed EMXP and uploaded a new build (v3.00.3) to my website.
The FLYS_ALAN file should convert fine now.
Pepe73

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 11:19:32 PM »

@ esynthesist: Thank you very much for the update! This bank works perfectly now with EMXP!! Big respect! Grin
majora

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 07:44:06 AM »

You're the man, esynthesist, thank you very much.
logiclust

i like toast

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 05:53:06 PM »

i've been considering taking all the EB2 files and loading them into my e4… has anyone tried this?

EII, E4k, E4XT, Darwin
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - FLYS_ALAN

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines