E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - emxp (errorcode 555)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:16:11 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax II General Discussion
| | |-+  emxp (errorcode 555)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: emxp (errorcode 555)  (Read 6976 times)
emax2

« on: October 10, 2014, 06:50:26 AM »

** This copy process gave an error (errorcode 555) **                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 
      [Disk or filesize is too large and is not supported by EMXP.]   

thats when i try and drop banks onto my scsi harddrive

also i get this one 1527.
the target disk is too small but its the same disk i backed up?

when i back up my disk then try to restore so it makes no sense, is there any way to override hard disk size checks?

as i presumme it may be the cause?

any help appreciated.

* 2.PNG (11.24 KB, 639x304 - viewed 935 times.)

* 3.PNG (2.18 KB, 546x146 - viewed 927 times.)
emax2

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:06:32 AM »

here is a screen shot of a formated disk in my emax 2

* formated in emax.PNG (9.58 KB, 626x283 - viewed 924 times.)
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 12:23:25 PM »

EMXP does not support sampler hard disks larger than 2GB.

I admit it's confusing that despite this limit some operations can still be done on larger disks in EMXP (like viewing disk details, backing up, ... you may have noticed though that the disk details don't really make sense).
I will check if I can remove the validation of the "physical size" of the hard disk in a next version of EMXP (or a new build), but I will definitely not be able to remove the validation of the "logically formatted size" of that hard disk. That limit will still be 2GB (which is more than enough for use in the Emax-II).

Removing the physical size validation in a next version of EMXP could be useful to allow the use of a larger hard disk (e.g. 20 GB) while formatting that disk to a filesystem of a maximum of 2GB for use with the Emax-II/Emulator-III (this logical format can be done in EMXP after having physically formatted it first on the Emax-II or Emulator-III). At least this would allow you to use a larger capacity disk if you don't have any small disks available.

The errorcode 1527 message is indeed misleading - I have to fix this. The same message is shown for disks which are too small to hold the backup file (correct message) and for disks which have a size larger than 2 GB (wrong message). I will change the wrong message in a next build of EMXP.

To summarize: at this point in time, the only solution is to use hard disks smaller than 2GB. Do you have one of these available ?

A final note: formatting a hard disk larger than 1GB on an Emax-II is "tricky". The format process will succeed, but since the OS of the Emax-II can't deal with disks larger than 1GB, it doesn't suspect such disks and may behave in an unpredictable way. E.g. I'm wondering what disk size your Emax-II is reporting on its display when you request for disk space details ?
emax2

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 06:25:16 AM »

Hi and thank you for your detailed response.

I was looking to email you but i could not find a email address in emxp's manuals.

To answer your question this is what the emax displays.

I believe 4gig is a stereo emax's maximum format size seen which is seen by the OS as the 2nd post in the topic is what emxp reports of my 8gig formated drive by the emax2 stereo rack i have.

if you need some one to test a future version which lifts these limits , you can message me anytime but for now if you need any more information please feel free to ask.

* Image1238 - Copy.jpg (89.53 KB, 799x539 - viewed 898 times.)
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 12:10:35 PM »

When I formatted a 2GB disk on my Emax-II, the format process succeeded but I got the same kind of "weird" disk size information on the display. I didn't really care, but when I started using the disk by saving banks to it (on the Emax-II itself) my Emax-II went crazy. So I don't trust these large disks formatted by the Emax-II...

In the meanwhile I have uploaded a new build of EMXP on http://www.emxp.net
This version validates the limit of 2GB for Emax-II/Emulator-III/Emulator-IIIX file systems on hard disks in a consistent way now in all functions of EMXP. This means that disks that have been formatted by one of these samplers to a size larger than 2GB will not be accepted anymore by EMXP.
But I also removed the validation of the *physical* size limit of 2GB for a hard disk. Disks with a "factory" capacity of more than 2GB will be accepted now, but they should not have been formatted for EMU samplers to a file system size larger than 2GB.

In practice this means that you can use an 8GB SCSI disk, but after having formatted it on the Emax-II, you should do an additional logical format in EMXP to a size smaller than 2GB (actually EMXP can format an Emax-II disk to a maximum of 1 GB of available space).
Once you have done that, the disk will be accepted by both EMXP and the Emax-II.

The Emax-II can store a maximum of 100 banks on a hard disk, and each bank can have a size of maximum 8MB. So the Emax-II can not address more than 800MB of sound bank space on a hard disk. As a consequence formatting a hard disk to sizes larger than 1GB does not really make sense, hence the max. supported format size of 1GB by EMXP.

By the way: my email address is actually mentioned in the reference manual (page 11) but the easiest way to find it is simply by looking at the main menu screen of EMXP: it's mentioned on the first (top) line of that screen ;-)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - emxp (errorcode 555)

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines