E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - PCD-50B SCSI multi-slot reader works

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:38:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII General Discussion
| | |-+  PCD-50B SCSI multi-slot reader works
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: PCD-50B SCSI multi-slot reader works  (Read 4015 times)
ddvdave

« on: March 05, 2013, 01:43:11 PM »

I have seen some posts in the past about mixed success with the SCM PCD-50B SCSI reader. I had no problems with mine, so I thought I'd clear up any doubt about their utility.

For those wanting to use the PCD-50B SCSI multi-slot flash reader:

• It works!
  • You may need newer firmware to write banks to flash (Although I have never needed this with my 3 PCD-50Bs I've installed over the years)
  • You can only use the PCMCIA slot, which defaults to LUN 0. E-Mu products AFAIK don't support multiple LUNs.
  • You can boot to this drive if the ID is set to 1 and you let the CF card format completely (may need to specify Interleave when formatting). Verification takes hours.
  • If you're not going to boot of the CF, you can interrupt the verification process and start copying banks to the CF cards.
  • I use 1GB CF cards. I have tried all kinds of brands and they all seem to work so far. (This may not be true with the AztecMonster internal CF reader.)

So I'm not sure why Jay had problems getting the PCD-50B to work, but I have one (where the floppy drive was) and a built-in CF reader (AztecMonster) in my EIII and they both work great! I had to build a custom SCSI cable long enough to go beyond the space where the HD lives, for the SCSI CF reader (which is terminated as it's the end of the bus).

-Dave
midipuppies

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 07:03:07 PM »

Hi Dave, I got another EIII to play with as things have settled down again here.
I still can't get one of these PCD units to boot the EIII. Just to be sure, you have had one of these things booting an EIII exclusively? I ask because you say that you have one of those Aztec things in there. It wasn't booting from that instead?
I can read/write/backup to it all day, but thats it. Set to ID 1, terminated etc etc.
I would love to know how you did it!

Thanks in advance,

Jay
« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:07:51 PM by midipuppies » Logged

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
ddvdave

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 10:36:03 PM »

I'm no longer using the PCD-50B as the boot drive, since I started using the Aztec internally in addition to the PCD-50B which is in the floppy slot and is working great as a second flash with removable media.

-Dave
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - PCD-50B SCSI multi-slot reader works

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines