E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HxC Floppy Emulator or External Flash Drive ???

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:37:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax II General Discussion
| | |-+  HxC Floppy Emulator or External Flash Drive ???
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HxC Floppy Emulator or External Flash Drive ???  (Read 7577 times)
PlayingTheAngel

« on: December 26, 2014, 04:34:51 PM »

Hi everyone,

I have recently bought an Emax II which I haven't received yet with the christmas holiday upon us.

Over the past few weeks I have been doing much reading on the E-mu Emax II's and I am trying to figure out what would be my best option. I've seen some external flash drives for the SCSI output on eBay, I've heard great things about an EMuSer and I've also heard that a HxC Floppy Emulator would be a good idea.

I've seen some HxC Floppy emulators on Lotharek's Lair http://lotharek.pl/ but am unsure if it will function properly within the EMAX II.

If I was to get an external flash drive or a floppy emulator, would that mean that I didn't have to use an EMuSer?  I ask this question because I could put my SD card into my PC and use EMXP, transfer files onto the SD card and then insert the SD Card into the Floppy Emulator or the External Flash Drive. Surely this works the same way as transferring files with EMuSer?Huh

I would really appreciate some advice and guidance on this because I am totally clueless for now  Huh

Rachel xx  Smiley
gertie

« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 03:54:05 AM »

hi Rachel

the HxC floppy emulator will work in your emax
the thing to be aware of when using the hxc is that it literally emulates the floppy drive....so load times are the same speed as using floppies
if your emax has 8mb it might be a tad slow

more info here
http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

please note this solution works with disk images so you wont be able to just copy a wav from your computer onto a sd and then use it....

other options -external scsi cf reader....which might be a good option if you have several samplers which can avail of it

or

internal solution like the raisin monster
http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=2667.0

probably a good idea to read this thread onwards....

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/584170-scsi-samplers-tips-solutions-17.html

hope it helps
PlayingTheAngel

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:15:33 AM »

the HxC floppy emulator will work in your emax
the thing to be aware of when using the hxc is that it literally emulates the floppy drive....so load times are the same speed as using floppies
if your emax has 8mb it might be a tad slow

please note this solution works with disk images so you wont be able to just copy a wav from your computer onto a sd and then use it....

Hi Gertie,

Many thanks for your reply on this. Most helpful indeed  Smiley

Can I ask, how do I create disk images? I can do that from the PC using EMXP?
PlayingTheAngel

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 11:18:57 AM »

I also forgot to ask:

If I have a floppy emulator and I turn on the EMAX II, I'm going to need the OS on the SD card??? Can you tell me how I can do that?

Rachel x  Smiley
Chevytraveller

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 08:15:58 PM »

I would say there is very little advantage to installing floppy emulators in an Emax II.. you have SCSI which is much faster

I am awaiting a SCSI CF reader from Japan which I shall be testing with my Emaxes once it arrives.. will let you know how that goes

S.

Grin

Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, Logic X, U-He Diva, Camel Alchemy,
Hard: MPC1K, Emax I, Emax II, Emulator II, E-Synth, Waldorf Q, AS Telemark, AS Leipzig-SK, AS Vostok, Oberheim TVS-1, Roland Promars,
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HxC Floppy Emulator or External Flash Drive ???

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines