E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - SOLVED: A technician turned on the PSU almost unloaded.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:46:43 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  SOLVED: A technician turned on the PSU almost unloaded.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: SOLVED: A technician turned on the PSU almost unloaded.  (Read 2785 times)
Gregory

« on: April 18, 2015, 05:34:11 PM »

After recapping a PSU, a local technician turned it on with only two floppy drives connected (both main boards were disconnected from the PSU). In 7-10 seconds, there was a loud frying/crackling/sizzling sound coming from the PSU. There was no fume or any smell.

After properly connecting everything, the EII was working as expected: the PSU output voltages were correct and stable, no crackling sound, so I took my EII to home.

On the next day, after 2 hours of work, I heard the same "frying" sound again - it was much quieter than the day before, so I couldn't even hear when it started.

Currently (after a week) the frying sound disappeared, the PSU output voltages are ok, and EII seems to work as it should.

Does it mean that the PSU wasn't damaged in any way?

What should be checked (or changed?) in the PSU in order to make sure it works correct and safe after a such "stress"?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:57:58 PM by Gregory » Logged
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 02:43:13 PM »

"Bliat !"  Wink

How many vodkas did you drink in between ? (Just jocking...)

Okay, I recognized you ! ...  Kak diala maya kompel ? Damn, If I was you, I would buy a new power supply from somewhere. But if the EII seems to be ok, what else ?
Gregory

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 02:58:58 PM »

Update:

It was a transformer making that crackling sound, when the PSU was only partly "loaded".

No additional repairs have been made, but now the PSU seems to work okay (knocking on wood).
Gregory

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »

Hi Dr.C !  Cheesy

You're right, if it works - then what else? But if something goes wrong - I will finally buy a modern replacement PSU.

I'm doing great, thank you! It's great to meet you here. How are you?  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 04:02:52 AM by Gregory » Logged
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2015, 01:30:40 PM »

I'll send an email on your box.
Chers
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - SOLVED: A technician turned on the PSU almost unloaded.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines