E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Minor issue after installing new power supply

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:21:28 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Minor issue after installing new power supply
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Minor issue after installing new power supply  (Read 4837 times)
ahaigh01

« on: August 12, 2015, 01:26:56 PM »

I installed the MeanWell T60-C power supply in My EII along with an HxC.  It's been working very well.  One thing that has changed is when I first turn on the EII there is a new noise (not the typical "pop").  It is a low tone, like a sine wave, that starts very low and begins to rise in pitch.  Then it stops after a couple seconds when the boot up starts.  I am wondering what is causing it, now that there is the new power supply installed.  Or maybe the HxC is causing it, but I am guessing it is the PSU.  Anyone know?

Thanks
Gregory

« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 02:12:21 PM »

That's interesting. I have recently changed the PSU as well (the new PSU is not a Meanwell though) and everything seemed to work great. However, after a couple of weeks I've got exactly the same symptom you're describing.

I was able to fix it by replacing a circuit in IC86 socket on the Digital Board.

Actually, I replaced several curcuits on the Digital Board that day (I still have a replacements list if you're interested), but the problem only disappeared after replacing the circuit in IC86. Perhaps you should try to replace this circuit as well - it is inexpensive anyway..
ahaigh01

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:07:03 PM »

Hey Gregory,

How did you happen to know it was IC86 - trial and error?  I have some replacement ICs so I tried one.  Although it fits the socket it is the wrong type and the boot up stops.  Thanks for your input.
ahaigh01

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:10:27 AM »

Gregory - I am interested in the replacements list - thanks
Gregory

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:12:33 AM »

Please, only replace the circuits of the same type. Otherwise you are at risk to damage your EII. The circuit in the Digital Board socket IC86 is 74LS138.

I was told that this symptom most probably caused by something dealing with reset process. Since I'm not a tech, I decided to just replace several circuits "in question" - and it worked.
Gregory

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 03:09:15 PM »

Gregory - I am interested in the replacements list - thanks

Sure, I have sent you the list.
ahaigh01

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 06:06:41 PM »

Good news - replacing that IC fixed the problem!  Thanks for the great info.
Gregory

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 01:39:28 PM »

I'm glad it fixed the problem!

And I wonder if it's a coincident that this particular circuit failed in two different Emulators after replacing the Power Supplies..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 02:03:44 PM by Gregory » Logged
ahaigh01

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2015, 06:52:10 AM »

It could be.  I bought 10 of those ICs so I can replace it again if needed, but I hope it doesn't fail again.
alka

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 08:29:03 AM »

Old post, I know, but I wanted to add on to the notes here in case anyone else experiences this issue. Replacing IC86 did not solve the issue for me. I have had this issue twice before - one fix was to swap the 2 Z80 CPUs. The other was to replace the MC3400P and/or the AD7524 on the Output board.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Minor issue after installing new power supply

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines