E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - High frequency noise on certain keys (same notes each octave)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:05:42 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  High frequency noise on certain keys (same notes each octave)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: High frequency noise on certain keys (same notes each octave)  (Read 7685 times)
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« on: October 15, 2015, 08:10:33 AM »

Hi!

Just wanted to know if any of you also have this slight high pitch noise on certain keys when playing your EII.

I mean: On all C notes (or D notes, F notes...  this varies in presets) on the keyboard, I hear a very high pitched noise/sound along with the sample that's being played. As i said - the pattern of keys having this noise repeats octave wise on the keyboard.

Is this normal (as it's not very loud), or is there something wrong?

Thanks for answering in advance, greetings,
Elm.

P.S.: I checked the filter envelopes - these are not the problem. The noise fades, as I attenuate the voice (as you would suppose).
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 08:04:33 AM »

Hey!

So I found out that this phenomenon appears appx. 5 minutes after switching on the EII.

Plus - to give a more precise description:
I got this preset - and all C, C#, D, G, G#, A on the keyboard have this little, faint "feeeeep" as long as a sound is played (including release time of the sound).

Any ideas?
Come on!

who

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:36:11 PM »

The only thing I can offer is I haven't experienced this problem yet.  (Probably just a matter of time!)

I hope you find an answer soon!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 01:23:06 PM »

Does the pitch of this sound changes ?

Does this sound still go on after the sound sample is finished (exemple: play a snare and keep the key pressed and theres a sound after) ? Look at ADSR

Change the disqkette to boot, of from another set, the software embedded into the diskettes hace the adjustments of youer machine, and these may be wrong. Wich means that EVERY machine has its OWN diskettes.
It this ist it, if you find a "good" diskette, make a software copy (special 4 if I remember well)
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 04:04:03 AM »

Hi Dr. XPert!

I'll check it out - and get back here.

Thanks in advance, guys!
Elm.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 09:12:13 AM »

Hi!

Indeed, this faint "feeep" is  ADSR dependent - so, it reacts on attack, release, etc. (VCA-wise).
And it seems to get pitched along, but it's very high, so I can't figure out, if it is pitched according to the notes being played, or just randomly.

It also seems, that, no matter what disc ( / OS / software) I load, it's not going away....

I should mention, that I changed ALL SSM 2045 with those of an Oberheim DPX-1 before I noticed these "feeeps". The original SSMs were a little 'quirky' to me, too much random self oscillation....  The 'new' ones are very smooth and react much better on frequency and Q adjustments. But maybe the 'new' ssm chips impart these "feeeps"?

I haven't noticed the "feeeps" before the ssm-swap, but as I said, they're very faint anyway and maybe I just didn't notice them, as the old SSMs were much dirtier...

Dr.?

Greetz,
Elm.

meastempo

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 08:37:21 AM »

Hi there,

I have solved exactly this problem you describe with high pitched frequency (about 7kHz) and noise on same keys (C,D,D#,E) in all octaves.
It was power ground loop problem in my setup, i have moved all gear from another room when the problem began.

Try connect the EII to another power outlet.

I have connected a Behringer HD400 hum destroyer between sound card and mix output from EII and it's quiet like nerver before.

/Anders
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 08:14:36 AM »

Hi there,

I have solved exactly this problem you describe with high pitched frequency (about 7kHz) and noise on same keys (C,D,D#,E) in all octaves.
It was power ground loop problem in my setup, i have moved all gear from another room when the problem began.

Try connect the EII to another power outlet.

I have connected a Behringer HD400 hum destroyer between sound card and mix output from EII and it's quiet like nerver before.

/Anders

B I N G O ! ! !

H E U R E K A ! ! !

Anders (and all of you) - THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!! It was indeed a power issue... I did what meastempo suggested (connect the EII to another outlet) - and this faint feeeeep is gone. GREAT!

Hope this thread helps other people, too.

Greetings,
Elm.

meastempo

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 05:08:03 PM »

Great to here it worked for your EII to Elm Smiley

I've tested today another simple solution to attach an cable from the chassis underneath EII to an radiator in my room and it worked to, without the Behringer HD400.
Seems this ground problem is common in older audio equimpent, good earth ground and stable power to all gear is valuable at the end.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 02:45:44 AM »

Yeah - but usually ground problems cause hum and buzz... I've never encountered this high freuency, rather digital sounding noise caused by grounding issues.
Thanks again!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 06:43:13 AM »

Great job !!!
moellhoven

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 01:20:15 AM »

Great info! This fixed the last remaining issue with my EII.

Thank you!!!
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 03:23:43 AM »

Great!

I'm happy for you!

Greetz,
Elm.
who

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 06:44:36 PM »

After reading this thread I decided to listen for the same noise and it was there!  I switched my EII to a power conditioner and the problem is gone.  Thanks for sharing the info!
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 06:57:48 AM »

V.I.T.  - very important thread   Wink
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - High frequency noise on certain keys (same notes each octave)

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines