E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Troubleshooting SCSI2SD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:20:01 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Troubleshooting SCSI2SD
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Troubleshooting SCSI2SD  (Read 29810 times)
nuipb

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2015, 08:13:59 AM »

OK thanks for your answer. And may I ask why you don't recommend taking the 5V from the SCSI bus ? And would you have a link (eBay, Amazon or whatever) for the needed 5€ power supply ? so that I can understand what it looks like..
Wolfram

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2015, 11:24:42 AM »

Because I don't know how much mA the SCSI bus of the EIII has.
If the SCSI2SD drive needs more as the EIII has the EIII will be damage.
nuipb

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2015, 03:41:35 PM »

Thanks for your replies Wolfram.

Update: Michael has told me that a lot of people have had issues with the EIII and the SCSI2SD.  He's working on a firmware update that adjusts the timing and should address this.  I'll be testing an early build of this new version and will post the results as soon as possible.
@ghunter
Did you eventually test that firmware update ? And did you get better results ? If yes what settings did you use ?
rectape

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2017, 06:34:30 PM »

Hi,

I got an eiii rack on the way and wanted to know about scsi2sd compatibility. Is everything ok now or is it better to buy an adapter like the acard?

Also, can I have a scsi2sd as a HD and an oder scsi cf card reader in place of the actual floppy?

Thanks.

Franck
ACEOFBASS

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »

This forum has gotten a bit necrotic  Roll Eyes

Update: Michael has told me that a lot of people have had issues with the EIII and the SCSI2SD.  He's working on a firmware update that adjusts the timing and should address this.  I'll be testing an early build of this new version and will post the results as soon as possible.

Any follow-up?   Did you get it working?
Wolfram

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2017, 01:39:36 PM »

I put a sd2scsi into my EIII one year ago.
It was plug and play.

For those who do not know the basic SCSI functions.
If the sd2scsi drive is the only scsi drive on the EIII it must be terminated.
The EIII has, unlike the EMAX, two scsi busses. External and Internal.
If you have one internal and one external dive both must be terminated.
You can use the scsi IDs from 1-5 on the sd2scsi drive. (If you did not change the EIII scsi settings)

synthwalker

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 11:21:02 AM »

I just installed a SCSI2SD V6 in my EIII rack.
Here's some tricks that can be useful.
The EIII had an internal 1 GB SCSI CF converter installed on SCSI 1 (boot HD)
1. I put the EIII on SCSI 0
2. Removed the floppy drive
3. Put 6 SCSI partitions on the SCSI2SD, 1 GB each, on a 8 GB SDHC card. After the 10 seconds formatting process, switched of the EIII (don't need to wait for the verify process on removable drives)
4. Copied the OS in each SCSI drive
5. Installed the SCSI2SD in the floppy bay with a 3D printed case https://durhamcardco.com/scsi2sd-v6-internal-case-preorder-.html. I asked for a 3 cm high special printed case since the EIII floppy is higher than the standard floppy size (2,5 cm).
6. Connected both CF card converter and SCSI2SD

The EIII now works on 7 SCSI partitions of 1 GB : SCSI 1 (CF) and SCSI 2-3-4-5-6-7 (SCSI2SD)
It seems that removing the floppy drive lets you put the EIII on SCSI 0. Don't know why...
The SD cards in SCSI2SD are of course hot swappable...

I tried to format 7 SCSI partitions on SCSI2SD (1 to 7) and remove the existing CF converter but this did not work (the EIII checks the SCSI bus over and over and never boots...).

Hope this helps...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 11:23:52 AM by synthwalker » Logged
Stephencl

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 08:41:42 PM »

This is really great feedback...

My hard drive is just about dead...I have a new display, new fans and a scsi2sd v6 card waiting...

Any photos would be great!

Stephen
synthwalker

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2018, 01:47:25 PM »

Here's the picture I took after installing the drive
SCSI2SD V6 in the floppy bay with the special printed case and CF drive on the original HD plate
New SCSI ribbon with 3 connectors

Wolfram

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2018, 02:55:41 PM »

I tried to format 7 SCSI partitions on SCSI2SD (1 to 7) and remove the existing CF converter but this did not work (the EIII checks the SCSI bus over and over and never boots...).

Hi synthwalker,
did you setup the SCSI2SD as Hard drive?
Also try turn off hot swapping.
synthwalker

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2018, 07:43:19 AM »

Hi Wolfram,

Yes, every SCSI2SD ID is set up as Hard Drive...
Where can I turn off hot swapping ?

It may also be the startup delay. I put it to 0 ms like the SCSI2SD of my Emax. Maybe it's too fast for the EIII to see it ?
Stephencl

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2018, 10:48:48 PM »

What SD card did you use?

I am using v6 SCSI2SD and the latest firmware, I keep getting SCSI hardware error when trying to write to the media following formatting. I also have the latest OS and Firmware on the Eiii. I can run a lexar 128meg CF in my aztecmonster just fine. But not the newer 1 Gig Scandisk card.

I think speed is a big problem.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
Stephencl

« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2018, 12:15:47 AM »

Okay,

I have some big news to report on this front.

1) i was able to format a 1GB card on my eiiixs using interleave of 9. This worked on my eii keyboard. I was able to save both the software and a bank to the disk. It works great.
2) I tried this trick on the SCSI2SD with no luck. I created 4 1GB paritions and formatted each one with the interleave set at 9. I can copy the software, but I am still getting the scsi hardware error when trying to save a bank.
3) it would be really helpful to know what firmware version is being used on the v6 card. Also, what media at what speed. I really think the transfer rates are the core issue. But what do I know. Pretty pumped to get the Razinmonster working. Now just need to get the SCSI2SD working.

Thanks.
Wolfram

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2018, 03:27:22 AM »

Just use the last firmware of the scsi2sd drive.
You can use any card because of the EIII is very slow (5MB/Sec).
Stephencl

« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2018, 07:17:28 AM »

I'm running the very latest firmware. It's the one from a couple weeks ago.

Just loosing too much sleep over this. I bought an older and smaller SD card. We will see how the slower cars works.

I am thinking there is also a hardware version issue. With a few of us having the exact same problem, my guess is that e-mu made a hardware change during production. It doesn't make any sense that it is plug and play for some, but doesn't work for others. I am running the 2.0 firmware on the Eiii.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Troubleshooting SCSI2SD

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines