E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Missing voices after warm-up

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:26:31 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Missing voices after warm-up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Missing voices after warm-up  (Read 3789 times)
Gul Dukat

« on: January 19, 2016, 01:29:01 AM »

Hi.
I face the issue that my EII+ is missing voices after the warm-up phase. It differs from time to time how many voices are missing (sometimes 2, sometimes 4). I couldn't find a recalibration prodecure in the manual. Any ideas?
Furthermore I have noticed that the output level is really low. I don't know if this is coherent with the voice issue.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:32:44 AM by Gul Dukat » Logged

E-mu Emulator II+, E-mu Emulator III, E-mu Emax II Turbo, E-mu E6400 Ultra, E-mu Drumulator
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 01:40:12 PM »

Along thejuntion of the analog and digital board, on the right side of the analog board, there are four circuits referenced 4051.
Take the off and put them back. DO NOT SWAP THEM AROUND

See if it helps
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 01:42:40 PM »

refer as well to : http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=2530.0

Power supply distribution bad soldering
Gul Dukat

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 01:49:02 AM »

Hey Doc.
You are my hero - that worked !! All voices are back and also after almost 2 hrs of working no failures.
BUT .... a new issue came up. It seem that one voice can't use of the filter (?) seems that the filter is always opened for that one voice ? I attached a video to demonstrate...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/65DiwHwXB68

I don't know if the sample input has something to do with the IC4051 ?  I ask because the the input is very low I always have to push it in the Gain Set to +20db also for a normal line input to get an acceptable level.
I read in some other posts that it might be a good idea to replace the crappy 4051 ICs ?
They are labelled differently - From top to bottom: CD4051BE RCA H 549 - CD4051BE RCA 245 - CD4051BE RCA H 549 .... and the last one is without a label ? Do I need to order exactly the ICs according their labels?
Any other recommendations to replace unreliable ICs - the EII casing is still open ;-)  
Thanks for your help!

* IMG_4530.JPG (490.75 KB, 2000x773 - viewed 502 times.)

* IMG_4538.JPG (299.03 KB, 2000x716 - viewed 516 times.)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:59:55 AM by Gul Dukat » Logged

E-mu Emulator II+, E-mu Emulator III, E-mu Emax II Turbo, E-mu E6400 Ultra, E-mu Drumulator
Gul Dukat

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 01:36:21 AM »

Hi Doc.
Can you help ? ;-)
Thanks!

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:45:34 AM »

Hi,

There are three or four circuits, aligned verticaly, on top of each others, labelle 4051. It can be CD14051, MCI4051, HFE4051, etc... They are analog multiplexers, used as sample&hold.
One is for the eight channel volumes, another for the filters, a third for the Q, etc...
I believe that one of them is overheating.
Just put your fingers on them, you will feel them. DO NOT INTERVERT THEM.
First, find a a floppy from another machine and see if it does the same. This nebause the adjustments are in the boot software, wich means when you try another diskette, you have to start the machine with it.
Okay;.. now, change the circuits ONLY IF YOU HAVE TO. If you change one of them, you have to recalibrate tha whole machine again ! I have NEVER done any f... calibration on these machines, its a hell, and it has to be fully calibrated before its too hot ! That's a track to follow, uh ?
If you machine works with the news diskette, then go to Special 14 and rewrite the software on EVERY diskette you have, yes, every ones. But be absolutely sure the machine works with this diskette first !
lemt me know, send me an email dr.c@noos.fr

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:52:49 AM »

What is that messy shit on Youtube ?
YOU know what you are doing, not us. Whats wrong with this ? A distorded channel, missing ?
Play slowly, with a sufficient volume level so we can hear clearly.
You can as well go to special, disable channels, and enable only the faulty one and a "clear" one, so we can compare.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 09:48:45 AM »

About the 4051s : buy at least 24 of them, they are everywhere in machines !

The 4051 locations at : http://mapage.noos.fr/dr.c/4051.jpg

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Missing voices after warm-up

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines