E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Voltage for HXC on an Emulator II

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:03:49 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Voltage for HXC on an Emulator II
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Voltage for HXC on an Emulator II  (Read 3646 times)
FairlightCMI

« on: January 19, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »

Hello,

I'm about to install an HXC into my Emulator II.  However, I'm a bit confused about the supplied/needed voltages. It seems that the EII floppy drives use 12V/13.4V, but the HXC only 5V.  Every installation manual I came across doesn't mention this and simply instruct to slap on a 5.25" -> 3.5" power connector adapter and connect to the HXC.  But won't this fry the HXC to add 13.4 volts? Or does the EII PSU switch between 13.4V and 5V, depending on what is connected? Any help appreciated...and thanks in advance!

George

E-MU Emulator II (x2), Emax II Rack
Gul Dukat

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 01:30:00 AM »

Hey George.
I don't think that it is important how the HxC is handling the power. Main point is that it works properly ? I have connected the HxC with a standard Molex adapter and operating it since a while. No problems so far.
Regards Gul.

E-mu Emulator II+, E-mu Emulator III, E-mu Emax II Turbo, E-mu E6400 Ultra, E-mu Drumulator
FairlightCMI

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:42:13 AM »

Thanks for your reply, Gul. Just to clarify, you are using the same cable that previously ran from the PSU to the floppies and simply added the adapter, right? Do you by any chance have the remaining floppy drive B connected to power also and both work?

Gul Dukat

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 01:40:55 AM »

Hi Fairlight.
I didn't modify anything with the existing power cables. By default there are 2 power cables for Floppy A and Floppy B. One of it will be used with a standard molex adapter like this one

since the HxC has a different power connector (for 3.5 drives). The remaining 5.25" connector goes into Floppy B (as before).
Hope that helps.

E-mu Emulator II+, E-mu Emulator III, E-mu Emax II Turbo, E-mu E6400 Ultra, E-mu Drumulator
FairlightCMI

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 05:26:53 PM »

Thanks Gul!

FairlightCMI

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 04:25:49 PM »

I have the exact same adapter cable. When I went in the other day trying to install it, I noticed that the yellow and red cable are at the opposite ends...meaning when connecting the adapter as is -  the red cable of the EII floppy power plug would connect to the yellow cable on the adapter and vice versa. 

I dull remember reading in one of the forum posts about the power supply cable colors and their associated voltages, where the OP warns about these being reversed on the EII and how he did fry a couple of 3.5" floppy drives because of this. I'm really afraid to plug this in as is as I don't want to fry the new HXC drive. Can someone shed some light on this?

FairlightCMI

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 04:32:30 PM »

Here's the screenshot.  Do I need to swap the red and yellow on the adapter or not? I would think that the cables on these adapters are configured pretty standard since they only allow to be plugged in a certain way....

* Screen Shot 2016-01-28 at 3.29.41 PM.png (55.58 KB, 1056x194 - viewed 508 times.)

midipuppies

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 06:43:28 PM »

I ran into that problem once. I'm pretty sure I had to reverse the small connector, and it then sat up at an unnatural angle after being plugged into the drive. If it were me, I would turn the keyboard on with the drive disconnected, and test the voltage at the connector to be 100% sure.

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Voltage for HXC on an Emulator II

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines