E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII Fan Replacement with no satisfactory result

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:49:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EIII Fan Replacement with no satisfactory result
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EIII Fan Replacement with no satisfactory result  (Read 4231 times)
Gul Dukat

« on: January 31, 2016, 10:19:36 AM »

Hi everybody. Sorry for opening a new topic - it seem that regarding the EIII fan replacement everything has been said ... Lots of you have changed the original fans - this is exactly what I tried out the last days as well. There are proposals and solutions which looks or better say sound promising! But what is the right choice and the best compromise between noise level and sufficient cooling of the EIII PSU and boards?
The factory fans are the Sanyo Denki 109R0812L402 with 1850 rpm and airflow 40m³.
I have been  told that the Noiseblocker NB M8-S1 Fans significantly bring down the disturbing noise level of the EIII - and it's true !
But (!!) there is almost no cooling effect any more since the S1 fans are rotating with 1200 rpm and a airflow of 30.0 m³. After testing that I bought the the Noiseblocker NB M8-S3 (2200 rpm and airflow of 59 m³). They are ok with regards to the airflow (perceived) but they are almost as loud as the Sanyo fans :-(
I have noticed that all types of fans are quite ok when not screwed with the EIII case! Seems that the disturbing noise is caused by a higher rotation and the vent slots ?

I have make a small clip where I compared the 3 fans. You clearly can hear the differences !
https://youtu.be/BG57DR4NTYY
(Remark: It seem that Youtube has normalized the level of the Sanyos' at 0:50 - this does not represent the real difference. The fast comparison at the end is more reliable!)

I do not dare to use the M8-S1 which are my favorites since they are almost noiseless. But the risk of overheating the Emulator and causing any damages are too high.
Maybe I will order now the M8-S2 which could be the best compromise between S1 and S3 ?
Is anyone using the M8-S1 or can recommend THE "killer" fans making the EIII silent and ensures sufficient cooling ?

Btw, this thread is only about the fans - I have already replaced the HDD with the AztecMonster CF Reader which was a good investment.

E-mu Emulator II+, E-mu Emulator III, E-mu Emax II Turbo, E-mu E6400 Ultra, E-mu Drumulator
potscrubber

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 02:34:38 AM »

Well FWIW, I think the S2 is a good compromise.  I installed them in my EIII.  It's by no means silent, but it is easier on the ear.  And no more unstable than usual.  Grin
rectape

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »

Hi, thanks for the feedback, I've just received mine but man it is so loud I can't work with this around me for too long.

Hope to find something near silent like my noctuas in my Lian Li PC case.
rectape

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:00:24 PM »

I have just ordered 2 noctuas nf a8 flx.

I'll let you the results once installed.
rectape

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2017, 03:54:26 PM »

I received them but they don't fit...

It need 92mm fans.

I will order the NF A9FLX and hope they'll work in low noise.
Gul Dukat

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 12:17:19 PM »

Well FWIW, I think the S2 is a good compromise.  I installed them in my EIII.  It's by no means silent, but it is easier on the ear.  And no more unstable than usual.  Grin
I have the S2 running in my EIII since a while. They are a good compromise but I didn't dare yet to let my EIII run longer than a hour... Need to do some long running tests with monitoring the inside temperature.

E-mu Emulator II+, E-mu Emulator III, E-mu Emax II Turbo, E-mu E6400 Ultra, E-mu Drumulator
wirefall

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 09:32:46 AM »

I have NB-BlackSilent Pro 92mm version PE-1 in my EIII Rack, from the data more than enough airflow but indeed very silent. Never had a problem.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII Fan Replacement with no satisfactory result

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines