E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII sample disks for DPX-1 or Akai S1100 ?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:05:38 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII General Discussion
| | |-+  EIII sample disks for DPX-1 or Akai S1100 ?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EIII sample disks for DPX-1 or Akai S1100 ?  (Read 2812 times)
dpx

« on: February 15, 2016, 02:43:29 PM »

Hello everyone,

i'm going to sell some old stuff, among other things i've found a large box with lots of 3,5" sample disks saying they are for E3 system/in E3 format, factory sounds. I got them years ago along with a DPX-1 and an Akai S1100, and i forgot which of these can read them. The DPX says "disk error" when i try loading, and the AKAI is out of order for now...
Could it be just the floppy drive of the DPX is broken ? I've never used this sampler. Or is it likely the disks are not working anymore (although they are in excellent condition, stored dry over the years). Is there another way to find out if these disks are still ok, and what a library of approx. 100 disks is worth today ?

thanks for any light !  
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 02:48:07 PM by dpx » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 04:50:16 AM »

Hi!

If these really are EIII (Emulator III) disks, the DPX-1 won't be able to read them. It can read some other formats, but not EIII. The Akai won't read EIII disks neither.
So the only way to find out if these disks still work, would be to test them with an Emulator III.

As the EIII comes with either 4 or 8 MB of ram, loading banks from floppy disks will be painful I guess... EIII has a harddisk installed by default and is capable to save to "mass"-storage devices via SCSI (think zip / jaz drives...).

The floppy disk drive is the worst option in terms of saving / loading / managing your sample banks / data. It's very handy to use it for system backup-disks though.

So, to be honest - an EIII sample library on floppy disks won't make you rich, I guess... unless the sounds are really outstanding (not just factory).

greetz,
ELm.
midipuppies

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 07:30:22 AM »

If you want to know what is on them without having a physical EIII, download EMXP and plug them in there. You will be able to see all of the banks PLUS convert them to another format that you can listen to.

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
dpx

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 03:47:56 AM »

thanks a lot for the infos !!

I wonder why the guy gave me those disks then...maybe he forgot to give me the Emulator Cheesy

So the DPX is probably ok and i will sell it...also thanks also for the EMXP hint, thats perfect !
They're not entirely factory sounds i guess, some are called "steve's bank" and so on. Who knows...I'll have a listen.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII sample disks for DPX-1 or Akai S1100 ?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines