E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emxp errorcode 1048

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:18:02 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emxp errorcode 1048
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emxp errorcode 1048  (Read 5357 times)
brian_ronn

« on: December 18, 2016, 06:45:36 AM »

Hi Wizards

When trying to send emx banks from emxp to the Emax I get this error:

Error !
Errorcode 1048
Communication failure. The Emax doesn't give the expected SYSEX response. Response is F0 18 2 21, Expected response is F0 18 2 38.

I've looked through the emxp reference manual and the 1048 errorcodes in these threads but my error seems a little different as the emxp does get a response from the Emax but just not the expected.

've tried to reset the communication preferences, disabled the windows defender antivirus and testet the same emxp ok with an EII on another com port.

The EmuSer is also tested ok with an EII (with another cable of cause).

What might be the problem here?

Best regards

Brian
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 10:15:25 AM »

It seems there's a feedback loop.
Because the expected response (SYSEX F0 18 2 38 ...) is the response that the Emax should give when receiving the "Modify Time-out" instruction (SYSEX F0 18 2 21 ...) from EMXP.
The Emax can never respond with this SYSEX string itself... unless there's a feedback loop which causes the received data from EMXP to become the returned data towards EMXP.

Is the cable you are using OK (did it work before ?).
Are MIDI cables disconnected (or is MIDI OUT set to OUT and not by accident to THRU in the current preset on the Emax... although I never checked if this could be an issue with RS422 communication) ?
Are you running an operating system version on your Emax which is capable of RS422 bank transfers ? (SE 1.1, SE HD 1.1, Pluse 1.0 or Plus 10/16/89) ?
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2016, 03:03:01 AM »

Hello esynthesist,

Your advices are damn good ! I certainly don't want to be kinda : "You give good advices", wich would mean in fact, in the top of my trone, I judge you like if I was really better than you, like an arrogant jerk, I really mean it; you are damn good !

Congratulations !

Dr.C
brian_ronn

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 07:31:31 AM »

Hi Dr. C.

You are very skilled to. But you could certainly learn something about kind communication from esynthesist!!!

Best regards

Brian
brian_ronn

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 07:37:47 AM »

It seems there's a feedback loop.
Because the expected response (SYSEX F0 18 2 38 ...) is the response that the Emax should give when receiving the "Modify Time-out" instruction (SYSEX F0 18 2 21 ...) from EMXP.
The Emax can never respond with this SYSEX string itself... unless there's a feedback loop which causes the received data from EMXP to become the returned data towards EMXP.

Is the cable you are using OK (did it work before ?).
Are MIDI cables disconnected (or is MIDI OUT set to OUT and not by accident to THRU in the current preset on the Emax... although I never checked if this could be an issue with RS422 communication) ?
Are you running an operating system version on your Emax which is capable of RS422 bank transfers ? (SE 1.1, SE HD 1.1, Pluse 1.0 or Plus 10/16/89) ?

Hi esynthesist

The Emax OS is Plus 1.0.
The Midi was set to thrue and changing that to out I got the following:

Error!
Errorcode 1048
Communication failure. The sampler doesn't give the expected SYSEX response. Response is F0 7E 0 7D, Expected response is F0 7E 0 7E.

The Emax responding with: Aborted- bad ACK for Packet #0000.

Best regards

Brian
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2016, 11:36:22 AM »

Thanks Dr C !
Of course many of my advices are related to my EMXP software (which I should know quite well...) or to the software behavior of the Emu samplers.
For sure resolving Emu hardware issues is more your specialty.
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2016, 11:46:58 AM »

The Midi was set to thrue and changing that to out I got the following:
It's interesting to know that the RS422 function is indeed very dependent on the MIDI settings.
Next to this MIDI Out setting, it's also good to know that EMXP is always using MIDI channel 01 for RS422 bank transfers
If the MIDI channel is set to another value on the Emax, communication will fail. I will resolve this in the next version of EMXP.

Errorcode 1048
Communication failure. The sampler doesn't give the expected SYSEX response. Response is F0 7E 0 7D, Expected response is F0 7E 0 7E.

The Emax responding with: Aborted- bad ACK for Packet #0000.

It seems the Emax is sending a NACK on the very first data packet sent by EMXP.
This could be caused by a timing problem.
It typically occurs if the "Delay time for changing port speed" (Emax-I RS422 communication preference 15 in EMXP) is too high with respect to the speed of your computer. The default is 50 msec, but you might have to lower it.
Other preferences that you may have to slightly change are 19, 20 and 21 (delay times for bulk transfers)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:57:54 AM by esynthesist » Logged
brian_ronn

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 12:07:01 PM »

Hi esynthesist.

The unexpected response from the emxp and the bad packet response from the Emax had indeed something to do with the Delay time for changing port speed. Mine was set at 75!! Lowering the parameter to 50 solved this problem.

Thank you very much esynthesist you are a Wizard ;-)

Best regards

Brian
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 02:04:06 PM »

Yes, in previous versions of EMXP (v3.05 and lower) the default was set to 75 msec, and seemed to cause some problems, so I changed the default in v3.06 to 50 msec.
This preference value is not automatically updated when you simply replace an older empxn.exe file by a newer one, because the previous value might have been working fine for some users, while there's a possibility that the new value actually won't work for these users. So I wanted to avoid this kind of "upgrade" issues...
But a fresh install of EMXP or performing a "reset" of the communication preferences (option 6.5.9) will set the preferences to the newest defaults.
I'm glad it works fine now !
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emxp errorcode 1048

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines