E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Do capacitors model/type affect the sound?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:19:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax II General Discussion
| | |-+  Do capacitors model/type affect the sound?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do capacitors model/type affect the sound?  (Read 4636 times)
Gregory

« on: July 29, 2016, 11:53:27 AM »

There are 18 electrolytic capacitors on the Emax II Rack analog board. And after 20+ years, I assume their performance is compromised. So, I plan to re-cap them all, using the same capacitance/voltage replacements, of course. The currently installed capacitors are radial Nichicon VX series, now discontinued.

The question is, do the capacitors affect the actual sonic characteristics of the output signal? At least, in a case with Emax II analog board?

My concern is that the modern capacitors (different series, different characteristics) can make the sound different. And I would like to keep the "original" coloration of the sound.

Thank you!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 03:22:52 AM »

Where are these capacitors located, I mean, on the circuit (schematics) ?
Since no capacitor are the same compared to another, even from the same batch, you better be carefull because, dpending where they are located, it may effectively alter the sound, especially if they are connected to filters.
Anyway, don't mess around without knowing how to recalibrate your machine !
Gregory

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2016, 03:15:30 PM »

Hi Dr.C! Smiley

I don't have a schematics, so I can't tell if those capacitors are in the audio chain or not.

The capacitors look (and work) ok - and I'm going to leave them alone, but it will be necessary to replace them some day, so I was interested to know.
Kaleid

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 05:40:44 PM »

I think you referred to this IC80 caps

If you do not find the same originals, look for the resistance code 330nf or nj (nanoFarads)
Change them as they stop working, not all of them at one time.

* IMG_4101.jpg (222.83 KB, 600x800 - viewed 703 times.)

* IMG_2331.jpg (73.8 KB, 600x800 - viewed 690 times.)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 05:43:51 PM by Kaleid » Logged
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Do capacitors model/type affect the sound?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines