E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HELP: Crackle on output

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:21:45 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII XP Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  HELP: Crackle on output
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: HELP: Crackle on output  (Read 7984 times)
arnoldorodeo

« on: December 01, 2016, 06:38:19 AM »

Hi ,
I recently bought an amazing EMU III-XP. Connected to a zip with scsi: pure pleasure!
But...Since three days I have an issue with crackle & click on ouput. I tried several things: from emu iii headphone same things so it's not a digital frequency problem as I supposed it first. I also tried to on/off many times but same problem with more or less crackles. Tried to change the output to sub 1,2,3... Tried to put the output on AES-EBU: problem still there...
It's very weird because it randomly come and go. Yesterday : all the afternoon without a problem. But this morning problem reappeared suddenly after 10 minutes.
Any help would be much appreciated !!
Arnold
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »

What is the temperature of the place ?
Can you record with the cracks and upload it somewhere so we can listen to it ?
Does it happen with different sound ?
Are the cracles are coming alone or do you have to play ?
arnoldorodeo

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 03:00:33 PM »

Hi Dr C.
I care a lot for my gear so everything in my studio is racked with care of temperature & enough space for ventilation beetween the units.
I made some recordings this afternoon & I had to use Izotope RX Declicker (works pretty well by the way).
I progressed a little about the origin of that: It seems that it comes from copying data on my zip. I used to make a copy of old but beautiful sounding CD-Rom' presets. And believe it or not: some of it are just unusuable (crackle everywhere) . It seems as if this samples had been recorded at a bad resolution. And others presets work just fine. By ex "Orchestra ()" preset on zip one work fine but on the 2nd zip it's just full of clicks... Seems like a "random"bug when copying bank from internal memory to zip...
Will send on the forum a little mp3 for illustrating this topic.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 12:23:08 AM »

Get rid of these ZIP shit ! Its a huge piece of crap !
Put an ACARD converter with a memory at the internal HD cable, and then, put the internal hard disk in a shelf somewhere, or why not, in an external enclosure.
This works really great.
Instantaneous startup, no nois, power consumption, eveything is improved.
obsoletemachines

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2017, 02:22:48 AM »

bad ground connection between your zip and sampler
arnoldorodeo

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 01:27:30 AM »

What is the temperature of the place ?
Can you record with the cracks and upload it somewhere so we can listen to it ?
Does it happen with different sound ?
Are the cracles are coming alone or do you have to play ?
Hi Dr C.
Sorry if I come back a little late on this forum as I needed to make some samples for a forthcoming EP. Basically I made a little video that would be much "demonstrative" than words !
Here is the link : https://youtu.be/CeYKL4GKeQE
Any help would be helpful ! You will notice that crackles are coming randomly. I pressed the audition button in the video to show the problem but it's the same with a midi keyboard.
For several months I take lessons of electronic repair with a friend and I'd like to know if some members of eIIIforum already had this kind of problem?
Arnold
obsoletemachines

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 05:53:07 AM »

it was really , really hot here recently and whilst i had recapped my power supply my EIIIXP was sat on top of another device, with a transformer and i got some pops...i spaced them out and no more pops or since.

I suspect your Power supply needs re-capping and the EIIIXp can get hot as it has no passive cooling.

arnoldorodeo

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 09:24:52 AM »

it was really , really hot here recently and whilst i had recapped my power supply my EIIIXP was sat on top of another device, with a transformer and i got some pops...i spaced them out and no more pops or since.

I suspect your Power supply needs re-capping and the EIIIXp can get hot as it has no passive cooling.

Hi there and sorry for this late answer... Yes my first suspect was the PSU. But ... I come back here with good news !!! I found the origin of the crackles & glitches: Basically it cames from all the memory chips on the motherboard(back on the left). I had to remove all one by one carefully. Every component was a bit oxydated because of age so I took a little alcool & clean each of the pin. Then I had to put it back into once again very carefully because of the fragility of the pins. And then ... Miracle !!! Everything works fine !! And what a sound  Smiley I've been amazed by the power, the stereo image and depht of each sample I made this morning. Brilliant ! Here are some pictures. Hoping it might help the EIII community on this forum:
http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.php?lang=fr&identifier=image&size=normal&module=user&userPhoto_id=304617
http://img.audiofanzine.com/image.php?lang=fr&identifier=image&size=normal&module=user&userPhoto_id=304618
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - HELP: Crackle on output

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines