E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator II won't read floppies

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:53:55 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emulator II won't read floppies
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Emulator II won't read floppies  (Read 7597 times)
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 09:20:23 AM »

Hi Dr. C!

I'm surely one of the stupid people who would stick their head into that powersupply....

Can you once again tell WHICH metal parts are high voltage? Or is just every exposed part of the powersupply high voltage?
I also heard that those high voltage parts keep their electricity for some time even when switched off - is that right?

greetings,
Elm.

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 03:19:34 PM »

The parts are the one wich are vertical, with diodes soldered to them. Once I stumbled and I felt on the machine with my naked arm on the PSU. I still have the scars, its now about 30 years ago.

The parts wich may keep energy are mostly capacitors and it is strange that you ask this after you wrote earlier : "I am comfortable probing and using a scope,"
budney

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 05:05:54 PM »

Im sorry if I had known I would have given you this information straight away. I assume this machine has stayed in England, but I can't know for certain as I bought it on an online auction site.

Its model number 6028 Serial 42
Digital board rev 0, serial number 64

Is there any other information that you need to know?

I don't know of any good service centres as I never use them, I am myself a service technician! But unfortunately I am not familiar with this vintage digital circuitry, it was made before I was born! I was hoping when I bought it the solution would be a mechanical one with the drives or a power related one with the psu, I took a gamble I guess.
That was not me asking about what components store energy, it was someone else...I would not risk opening and tampering with this synth if I didn't even know that it was the capacitors!

I have asked around and the only person I was able to find within a reasonable distance from me who would be qualified to understand what was wrong with it replied with an automated email saying they are not taking any orders for the foreseeable future.
I don't suppose I could persuade you to offer some more troubleshooting advice? I'd happily pay you for you for your time. I completely agree with you that I should take this to a tech centre, but I am all out of options.

I am going to replace the Z80A SIO2 and hope that it will bring it back to life. If not it's time to sit in the corner and cry  Cry
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:07:29 PM by budney » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 04:27:57 AM »

it is strange that you ask this after you wrote earlier : "I am comfortable probing and using a scope,"

No, sorry Dr. C. - that wasn't me who said that. It think it was budney?

Thanks for answering my question!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 05:21:59 PM »

Its model number 6028 Serial 42
Digital board rev 0, serial number 64

Damn, this is an oldie ! Got no trace of this one.
Can you send me by e-mail a pic of the placement of the hot IC's (IC's 150 to 155), make the picture a bit wider with the surrounding circuits, and please,: clear and neat.
budney

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 12:23:21 PM »

I've attached a picture of IC 150 to 155,

I hope the picture is good enough for you, any higher quality and I will exceed the maximum image size for this forum
thanks dr c Smiley

* IMG_4061 (1).jpg (2917.55 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 421 times.)
budney

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »

also attached is a picture of IC 123 to 127, as they are getting hot as well

* IMG_4062 (1).jpg (3072.03 KB, 4032x3024 - viewed 415 times.)
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator II won't read floppies

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines