E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII Memory Test - Where is memory segment address 43F73?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:53:53 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EII Memory Test - Where is memory segment address 43F73?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EII Memory Test - Where is memory segment address 43F73?  (Read 4209 times)
FairlightCMI

« on: February 19, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to pinpoint a bad ram IC and received following error message:

Bank A
43F73
Data: EE
S/B: FE

Following the memory organization sheet of the memory test disk instructions, I can't seem to make out where memory address segment 43F73 is locate as the example in the instructions features a 5-digit all numbers code, while mine has the letter "F" in the middle.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

E-MU Emulator II (x2), Emax II Rack
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:08:03 PM »

Again, and again...
Three is a bug there !
Sample a continuous sound like flute,organ, etc...
Play it. At what time does the sound it corrupted ? Lets say five seconds, ok ?
Exchange 1/4 of the memories with another quarter.
Resample.
Is the crushed sound elsewhere (7 secons for example) or is it at the same place ?
Shut dwon. If the crushed sound is at the sameple, it means that "nothing is changed" in you memory map.
Swap a half of one of the two quarters left within the same quarter.
Nothing changed ?
Swap a half of one of the lst querter within the same quarter.
If nothing has changed, you are a moron...   Grin
Okay, seriously, by successive aprproximations, you are capable to isolate one bad memory chip within 65,536 in sixteen tries like these.

Got the idea ?

FairlightCMI

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 03:43:23 PM »

Bon Jour Docteur C-

LOL, thanks for your kind help and comments. Based on the error code I had mentioned in my post, I obviously have the memory test disk, so why would I shift shit around on a trial and error basis in 65,536 attempts? Anyways, a nice guy in the Yahoo EII forum was able to help make sense out of the error code results and it turned out I had a total of 7 bad ram chips. It's all fixed now and my EII now purrs like a kitten again. If anyone has trouble making sense of their error code readouts of their memory disk, please feel free to contact me, I'm like a semi-pro now...lol.

Thanks again.

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 02:08:26 PM »

Hi, its 16 attempts to find ONE chip bad over 650536 ! (2**16), you moron...

Do you REALLY think I would be such an idiot to recommend you to make 65 536 attempts ?

Seven dead chips ? Gee wizz... I don't believe it even a second.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:15:32 AM by dr.c » Logged
FairlightCMI

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »

Muhahaha.... who is this weirdo  "Dr. C"?

Get a friggin' life, buddy...

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2017, 09:32:48 PM »

what means "friggin" ?
FairlightCMI

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 10:16:54 AM »

It means that you're a little stinky cunt who should pack his mule and gallop into the sunset...

Furthermore, I would like to suggest for you to get properly acquainted with the English slang vocabulary before insulting and challenging strangers into a pissing match on an English spoken forum.

"Look at me, I'm really, really, ridiculously smart at fixing sampling keyboards. My favorite pastime is to troll and insult strangers when they ask "stupid questions" on a forum that was created for users to "ask stupid questions"...   Huh?

Go away, bitch!

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 03:09:49 PM »

I applied in 2009 here, and well, idiots are very rare, but when they come around, they hit the top.I think that any othe comment is useless. You talk quite enough for yourself.
I have dissappeared for a while of this forum because of trolls, I'm gonna do the same for a while.
FairlightCMI

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 06:19:10 PM »

I see, so now YOU are playing the victim card when you are the one who called me a moron and basically a liar by trying to discredit my statement that I had 7 dead ram chips in my EII.  How's that so incredible and what could I possibly gain from lying about shit like that? Plus, I had asked and posted a legitimate question and YOU are the one who set the tone in your response. Even my 14 year old has better social skills and is more tactful than you. If you're suffering from a chemical imbalance in your brain, please go join the appropriate forum.

Either way, life's too short for this kinda bullshit. Vaya con dios amigo and peace out!

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:12:24 AM »

Yep, you are really 14...

Its very common that ONE chip is down and perturbates the function of the others because they are in parallel. I never said you were a liar, I meant I dont believe the fact, not what you say !
Furthermore, I don't see how you can imagine I could propose to make 65 536 retries, just for example because the lifetime of floppy readers wich is 20 000 reads ! After then, its dead, the MTBF is 15 000 floppies.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 03:16:36 AM by dr.c » Logged
FairlightCMI

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 09:25:31 AM »

After I learned how to interpret the faulty chip readouts of the memory disk and pinpoint which exact chips they were, I kept running the memory test and it kept indicating other faulty chips in different locations, and so I ended up replacing a total of 7 chips until it passed the memory scan successfully. The unit works now without any artifacts, so I assumed those 7 chips were bad (whether one of the faulty chips was perturbing the function of other healthy chips or not). 

I don't think I could have formulated my question more precise and for the ones in the know, I evidently had the memory test disk.  Every idiot knows that you can try to isolate the problem to an area by approximation and shifting the chips around, but why would you even suggest that if someone clearly has the memory disk and asks for help with the error code interpretation. Your answer was a troll-answer and you know it.

Maybe not everybody's professional expertise lies in electronics, but does that automatically make them morons when they ask what you deem a "stupid question"? Hardly...

Let's just let this go... and I apologize for the inflammatory language on my end - whether you accept it or not.

Peace!

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »

The Memory test program HAS A BUG. Now, not every "idiot" knows its possible to isolate a chip out of 65 536 within sixteen operations of successive approximations. I am sorry to have emphasized the fact that you obviously seem to be a part of them, hence I can understand you may be "touchy" about it.

We are letting you go, as you say, with great relief.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII Memory Test - Where is memory segment address 43F73?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines