E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Anyone install the HxC Floppy Emulator in their Emulator II+HD?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:45:22 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  Anyone install the HxC Floppy Emulator in their Emulator II+HD?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone install the HxC Floppy Emulator in their Emulator II+HD?  (Read 2751 times)
seamonkey
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »

Thinking of converting the old gal into the 21st century and install the Lotharek HxC Floppy Emulator.
But I seem to recall someone posting here possible compatibility issues because of the harddrive OS.

If not, which drive do you replace? the HD?

thank you
Deft

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 03:57:39 AM »

There are two ways:
1 simple one - you just remove the HDD, install HXC and boot with regular os (not HD one) and it will work perfectly with remaining FDD and HXC
2 second one is complex, you need to replace ROMs, remove HDD board and replace chip.

first one works fine, but it take more time to boot - EMU need some time to understand that HDD is disconnected.

here is link for second way: http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=956.0
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:00:07 AM by Deft » Logged
seamonkey
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »

Thank you so much for the info. I'll visit that thread when I have a bit more time.
Replacing the HD sounds much easier, especially since my HD has been acting strange since I bought it, so I just avoid using it, and use my Mac and SD.
Gul Dukat

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 12:21:03 PM »

Have a look of this nice tutorial by Retrosound. It helped me a lot when I did my HxC Upgrade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-kSYxOnvwQ
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:29:05 PM by Gul Dukat » Logged

E-mu Emulator II+, E-mu Emulator III, E-mu Emax II Turbo, E-mu E6400 Ultra, E-mu Drumulator
Wolfram

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 12:35:27 PM »

An EII HD is not an EII +.
Like Deft already explained you must downgrade the EPROMs if you want to have a normal working EII.
The EII HD try to boot from its HD first and boots from the floppy after xxx retries if the HD not response.
seamonkey
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 05:40:15 AM »

Thank you both for your comments.
Yes, I've seen Marco's video on both the EII and Emax. Looks fairly simple.

Wolfman, I'm a bit confused because Deft wrote: There are two ways:
1 simple one - you just remove the HDD, install HXC and boot with regular os (not HD one) and it will work perfectly with remaining FDD and HXC
2 second one is complex, you need to replace ROMs, remove HDD board and replace chip.

But I remember from an existing thread someone posted the eproms need to be replaced with the HD model.
Which is something I'm not prepared to do.

Thank you again
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Anyone install the HxC Floppy Emulator in their Emulator II+HD?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines