E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Blue screen, no boot up, screech sound in headphones. Need some magic.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:12:15 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Blue screen, no boot up, screech sound in headphones. Need some magic.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blue screen, no boot up, screech sound in headphones. Need some magic.  (Read 5888 times)
DogbreathE3

« on: June 07, 2017, 05:50:02 PM »

Hi all,

I've searched the forum but could not find resolution to these exact issues, so here I am.

EIII rack powers up, all lights on front panel are red for a second, floppy and HD seem to engage initially, but then only get blank blue screen (no characters or dark squares and contrast knob does nothing). Red light at “Song” under Mode Module and red light at “Enter” button remain lit. If I press buttons at all other Modules, the corresponding red light illuminates. Beyond that, there is no activity.

I’ve tried booting from floppy OS 2.42 and I’ve tried booting from Zip SCSI drive. No luck.

When I plug headphones into the Stereo Out jack, I hear a light hum which softens slightly if I press Load Bank button. (If I plug into any other jack, I hear nothing). Strangely, after about five minutes after power up, I hear a continuous screeching sound coming through the headphone jack. No combination of button pushing alters the screeching sound. I powered down shortly thereafter.

These conditions happens every time I try to power up the unit again. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Peter

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2017, 01:30:49 PM »

First thing to try : unplug the internal hard disk and put ANY WORKING SCSI hard disk instead at its place. Its just to try if its not the original hard disk wich puts a mess.

If this is not it, put the original hard disk back in place.

Are the PSU voltages OK ?
DogbreathE3

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2017, 02:59:43 PM »

Hi Dr.C,

I'm not very technically savvy, but I think I can swap the drive out. When you say ANY WORKING SCSI drive, do you mean one that can be blank or does not have Emu files on it? Because I'm guessing trying to get my original HDs contents onto the swapped HD would be difficult.

And I don't know how to measure (or have the equipment for) PSU voltage.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Peter
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Blue screen, no boot up, screech sound in headphones. Need some magic.

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines