E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax I blank screen after checking floppy. Bad floppy?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:29:54 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emax I blank screen after checking floppy. Bad floppy?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emax I blank screen after checking floppy. Bad floppy?  (Read 2754 times)
ufo07

« on: April 15, 2018, 09:19:08 AM »

A long time ago my dad's Emax-I floppy drive died, so he went to his friend and got a random Panasonic computer floppy drive that worked somehow. He hasn't used the Emax in years, but he knows it worked when he used to use it. I recently wanted to used it, but the whole thing wouldn't turn on, so we bought a new power supply and payed someone to replace it and now the Emax turns on.

Now the problem is when we put a floppy disk in the drive (the drive is on and the light is orange), the screen says "loading software", then the drive does 3 short vibrations, and then the screen goes blank and all the red LEDS on the Emax turn off and it stays like that, no sound, no midi, and pressing all the buttons do nothing. I downloaded EMPX and Omniflop on the old computer with a 3.5" floppy drive and confirmed that the floppy disks have the software revision 3.2 and at least 1 sound bank.

Does this sound like a bad floppy drive? I tried 2 other computer floppy drives (which I know are not supposed to work with Emax) and neither one even turned on. We already invested $250 in repairing this thing and it is still completely useless. I'm wondering if its worth the investment to find a new drive that may or may not work.
Wolfram

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2018, 11:55:22 AM »

The EMAX does't support standard floppy drives.
Also modern floppy drives does't support DD floppy sometimes.

The best way is a HxC drive or if your EMAX has SCSI a scsi2sd drive.
ufo07

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 04:50:07 PM »

Sorry if I was unclear, but I meant to say that I'm wondering if its worth investing in a new drive, whether that means an old secondhand SCSI drive or an HxC drive, since based on my current situation, I don't know definitely that the current drive is causing the problem i'm having.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax I blank screen after checking floppy. Bad floppy?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines