E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator II+HD non active for 10 years

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:21:18 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emulator II+HD non active for 10 years
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emulator II+HD non active for 10 years  (Read 3042 times)
gregre

« on: May 17, 2019, 12:14:00 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I have a Emulator II+HD that has been non active for 10 years. It was slow at recognizing the disk but now appears to recognize it apon boot.
I have since taken it apart and will attempt to clean the key contacts. Any recommendation on contacts, soap and water,  isoprpyl alcohol, Q tips. For metal to metal contacts etc., Caig D5?

Any battery's, resetting cards, voice tuning etc recommended?

Thank You,

Greg
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:18:47 PM by gregre » Logged
dfiorucci

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 12:39:20 PM »

Hi Greg,
This guy has a very good video of repairing an OB-8 the EII will be similar.
https://youtu.be/gS5tnkgvE20
Thanks,
Dana
gregre

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 09:37:33 PM »

Thanks Dana,

email me @  trevon12001@yahoo.com

I'll have to look you up,
I finally got a memorymoog like the one you demo for me centurys ago, hahahah
Sold my Jupiter 8 about 7 years ago.
ACEOFBASS

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2019, 07:03:12 PM »

Any battery's, resetting cards, voice tuning etc recommended?

I've restored dozens of E-ii's.  The main thing is that you want to replace the power supply! 
It's not easy to find a power-supply that offers +5, +12, +15 and -15 on it's rails affordably.
The easy and affordable solution is to build a hybrid supply, that is actually two supplies in one.  One for the +5, +15, -15  and a second for the +12. 
It is always important to connect your new powersupply to a dummy load, allow it to warm up and then trim it's voltages to spec before installation.

The other thing that should be addressed in any Eii are the many Tantalum capacitors.  They are all ticking time bombs.  Fire risk for sure.
If you have not replaced these in your Eii, never leave it on, unattended!   
I have a good friend who's studio burned to the ground because of a fire caused by an failed Tantalum cap!

Your keybed will likely need to be removed and serviced.  This is a time consuming affair, and takes some skill to do.  Each key should be removed, and cleaned (I like to whiten the keys when I have them out) and the key bushing contacts inspected, and cleaned.  replace any failed bushings.   

There are numerous other more technical aspects to a restoration, such as triming DAC's etc.  Complex stuff that is best left to a skilled tech. 
PM me if you need help with any of this stuff ;-)

All the best

ACE
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator II+HD non active for 10 years

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines