E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Scanner Disk: Enter LED Will Not Light...LED, button, or?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:21:54 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Scanner Disk: Enter LED Will Not Light...LED, button, or?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Scanner Disk: Enter LED Will Not Light...LED, button, or?  (Read 3986 times)
who

« on: July 24, 2017, 05:39:18 PM »

When I run the scanner disk all of the front panel LEDs illuminate except the enter LED.  I disassembled the button and cleaned the contacts, but no luck.  Do you think the button is broken or the LED?  Maybe something else?

If it is the LED, how do I go about finding a replacement?  Any tips for finding replacement parts?
alka

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »

Judging from your last issue with the new display you may be experiencing scanner issues... try carefully swapping the main z80 CPU chip with the scanner z80 CPU chip and see if any of the behavior changes..

who

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 07:07:28 PM »

Hi Alka,

Thanks for all your help!  I have two front panels, one works fine, the other has issues.  I was told the new front panel works except for one slider.  I broke one of the major troubleshooting rules and changed more than one thing at a time before I installed it.  I changed out all four sliders, put in a new OLED and replaced the large ribbon cable.  (I've done a fair amount of work to my EII and got a little too confident.)  Long story short, I think all of my issues are either due to problems with the front panel, or due to problems I introduced by changing parts on the front panel.

I swapped the old ribbon cable back in (easy) and the problems still occurred.  My next step is to pull the boards off the front panel and look for issues.  I don't know how often LEDs go bad, but my guess is it is much more likely there is a problem with the button.
who

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 03:13:38 PM »

I've determined it is not the switch and I put in a new LED and it still doesn't light.  Is there another component that may be failing?
who

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 09:40:36 AM »

I confirmed the old LED works and put it back in place of the new one, so it must be something else.
who

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 01:42:19 PM »

I have an an extra front panel that is known to work.  I tried replacing the pcb under the right side (where the enter LED is) and still have the same problem.  It must be a component on the left pcb.
who

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 02:28:00 PM »

The problem was a faulty 74LS273 PC.  Fairchild flip flop logic chip (?)
alka

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »

glad you got that sorted! are you all working now?

who

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 12:02:48 PM »

Hi Alka,

Thanks for your help and interest!  I replaced the display with a kit purchased on Ebay.  I'm not 100% satisfied as the viewing angle is narrow.  I may try this kit next:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SP12-SP1200-OG-LED-display-Wide-viewing-angle-Best-quality-FSTN-technology/263088879227?hash=item3d4151b67b:g:dNMAAOSwLEtYk796

I bought one for my SP-1200 and it's pretty nice.  However, I would really like an OLED like I have in my Emax and EIII.  (I can read those from across the room!)  I just haven't been able to find one that works with the EII.

As for the rest of the EII, I want to replace the keybed next.  I'm done after that!
alka

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 02:13:06 PM »

This is the one i used but i had to lug it to get it to work with the EII timing... http://www.newark.com/midas/mc21605a6wd-bnmlw-v2/display-alphanumeric-16x2-white/dp/03AC3420?ost=Midas+MC21605A6WD-BNMLW&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http%3Aen-US%2FElement14_US%2Fsearch

I have heard of other folks using it fine no problem though....

for example:

http://www.nattvard.com/cmi/e-mu-emulator-ii-lcd-screen-change/

who

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 07:16:37 AM »

Hi Alka,

Thanks for the suggestion!  When you say "lug" it, what do you mean?

alka

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 12:49:20 PM »

good question.. i think i made that term up... the capacitor fix on the timing pin as noted elsewhere did not work for me, however when i was testing a noticed that when i had a sole oscilloscope probe attached to the timing pin of the display it loaded fine... not being an expert in electronics and having spent a year getting the EII sorted i was happy to just keep the probe attached and packed it up neatly in the case...  Huh strange i know.. but it works consistently.. no issues and a nice bright display.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Scanner Disk: Enter LED Will Not Light...LED, button, or?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines