E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII Library for EmulatorX2

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:39:52 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  EII Library for EmulatorX2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: EII Library for EmulatorX2  (Read 18513 times)
Failed Muso

« on: July 19, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »

Hi there,

Found this forum thanks to my fellow blogger David aka DVDBORN. We both share a passion for early samplers, especially EII's and Fairlights.

I have long been searching for a definitive and complete Emulator II sample library (as well as a Fairlight one) for use in a more modern environment. To date, I have had varying degrees of success but never anything that one could call "complete". For example, I have a handful of classic EII samples (Shakuhachi, Arco Strings, Waterphone, Strings, Choir, Orch Chords, etc) in Akai S6000 & Alesis Fusion format. I also have the Nostalgia & Cult Sampler VSTi's which have various EII and other EMU samples on. Probably the best I have found is the Emax Collectors Edition library made by Digital Sound Factory.

Speaking of which, I contacted Digital Sound Factory recently and asked them if they had any EII library and plans to release it, given their close ties to present day E-MU/Creative. They said that they did, but had no immediate plans to release it, but would do so at some point in the future.

Although I am predominantly an Akai user, last year I bought EmulatorX2 and found it to be probably one of the best software samplers out there, given that it actually samples stuff, rather than just play samples back like it's rivals Kontakt, HALion, etc.

So, my question to you guys is this. Does anyone know of a complete factory library of EII samples and other classic EII sounds available in the current Emulator .exb format or even Akai? And for a reasonable price too! Smiley

It's been a long and fruitless search so far, but I'm keeping the faith Wink

Many thanks in advance for any constructive replies.

Oh, and if you haven't already, please feel free to check out my blog, Failed Muso

Kind Regards,

Rob.
Jim Stout

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 12:40:46 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/Emulator-2-sample-library-cds-Akai-Emu-S1000-Ensoniq_W0QQitemZ270431012057QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Pro_Audio_Samplers_Accessories_CV?hash=item3ef6f1c4d9&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1205%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50#ht_4224wt_958

Check that out.

I bought it, it's good!

esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 01:59:01 PM »

Isn't that the Emulator X2 library which is sold in any other format ?
Because the list of presets mentioned on the ebay page seem to be the X2/E3 banks...

///E-Synthesist
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2009, 01:45:37 AM »

Well maybe, but that's just a fraction of the original EII library !!
Jim Stout

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2009, 06:07:52 AM »

I don't know for sure. But I try to track down as many Emulator sounds as I can.
I have the Emax stuff from Digital Sound Factory too.

I am also try to figure out a way to get the OMI stuff converted. I sent some stuff to Garth at Chicken Sys.
 We'll see what happens...
Failed Muso

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 12:27:09 PM »

Thanks to the responses so far, both here and off list. I now have a few leads that I can follow up in my long quest for the EII library  Wink

Keep those ideas coming so that the users of the latest Emulator technology can benefit from the sterling work of the past Smiley
Failed Muso

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 12:27:38 PM »

I sent some stuff to Garth at Chicken Sys.
 We'll see what happens...

Seriously.... don't hold your breath  Undecided
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009, 02:35:23 PM »

I am also try to figure out a way to get the OMI stuff converted. I sent some stuff to Garth at Chicken Sys.  We'll see what happens...

The OMI banks can also easily be converted to native EIII format by EMXP, can't they  Wink ?
On condition you first convert your original OMI CDROMs to a set of "PC readable" SD files, for which a simple converter exists (I can provide you with this one)...

If EIII as a target format is not what you want, SoundFont 2 will be possible too very very soon. I'm running some final tests at this moment with EMXP v207 and it seems to be sufficiently stable to be launched as a beta release in the coming days. v207 adds SoundFont2 support to EMXP, which means that EII, EIII and Emax files can be converted to SF2 and the other way around.

I think most modern translation software and/or softsamplers support SoundFont 2 to a certain degree. Not all of them interprete or create all SoundFont2 parameters, but at least the basics (key assignment, filter and envelope settings etc) will be supported by all of them. So by converting EII banks to SF2 with EMXP first, these SF2 files can be used a starting point for conversions to other formats.

///E-Synthesist

Jim Stout

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2009, 07:09:54 PM »

That would be great. I have the OMI library. Let me know what I can do to help this process.

I would gladly do what ever I can so these sounds can live on. Smiley

rodm1960

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 02:11:54 PM »

Hi,

I own the OMI libraries with all 3 universe of sounds CDs. A while back, I was worried about the CDS3 cd drive so I copied (1 bank at a time) all the EII banks to the emulator II and then to a mac computer. I then copied all the banks (with the resource forks) using file typer. I always followed what esynthesis was doing with EXMP. When he released version 7 beta, I translated all the EII banks to sound font 2. I tried many of the banks last night in SFz soundfont player in my SONAR 8 recording program. The results are OUTSTANDING! The banks are all in tack just like they were in the EII. The sound quality is incredible, even by today's sample libraries. There are just a small few banks and samples that you will have to "tweak" with a sample editor. For example, lead gutiar (bank 193 on UOS #1) that uses backwards looping. Esynthesis has stated the current limitations in his current release in his documentation. In summary, of the 1500 plus EII banks, only 4 didn't translate.
I believe two of the banks didn't translate because they contain non-standard charactors in the name: & and -.
Also, 2 from UOS volume 2 bombed out EXMP. They were arranger's disk and Da big one banks.

My dream come true. Instant access to EII banks in a soft synth that has unlimited polyphony and I can assign to multiple midi channels in a recording program. I have reached nirvana!

Esysthesis and his EMXP program is amazing! The Emu community is lucky to have such a resource.
Thank you esynthesis!
Rod
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 01:16:51 PM »

Rod, many thanks for this encouraging feedback.

To be honest I'm quite surprised that the beta version succeeded in translating almost all OMI banks  Wink
I did only very limited tests myself before releasing v2.07.beta (only 10 factory EII banks have been subject of tests "in the lab").
So many thanks for doing this "stress" test of version 2.07.beta. It's a great help for me.
And since EMXP uses a universal translation engine, this should mean that most Emax and EIII banks should translate to SF2 successfully as well !

Of course I will have a look at the 4 OMI banks which caused problems or crashes. I'll try to fix that.

Many thanks

PS: I'm waiting for an USB/RS422 device specifically designed for use with Emu samplers. The prototype for this device is ready and will hopefully arriving soon from Australia. Once this has arrived, there's a big chance that a next version of EMXP will allow uploads and downloads from banks to Emax and Emulator II straight from a USB port of a Windows PC !

///E-Synthesist

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 02:19:22 AM »

Once this has arrived, there's a big chance that a next version of EMXP will allow uploads and downloads from banks to Emax and Emulator II straight from a USB port of a Windows PC !

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked  Tongue  Tongue
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 03:31:58 AM »

wow this is surreal

esynthesist when this comes out please make a thread in the EII general discussion forum and i'll make it a sticky

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
rodm1960

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 07:39:47 AM »

Hi esynthesis.
Again, I want to thank you for such a great option added in EMXP 2.7. I've completed more testing on the translations. I converted all 3 OMI universe of sounds CDs and all the other EII libraries I have, including the 100 factory disks, the FMS library, the burmer library and some home-made and forum EII sounds. I only had 1 additional bank that stopped the program. I also had a chance to try the converted EII banks in other software samplers. I tried Vsampler3, NI Kompakt3 and SFz (soundfont player). The EII banks sound so good in Vsampler3 and SFz. Some of the converted EII banks did not play in Kompakt3. Every bank I tried in Vsampler3 and SFz played great! I know the backwards samples and the arpegio samples a person would have to set up the paameters manually on the banks and samples, but everything else seem to maintain that "low-fi" quality that made the converted samples sound exactly like the originals. I owned that OMI library for over 20 years so I was familiar with many of the banks and sounds. One strange abnormality is that in Kompakt, some banks (and individual samples in one case) had to be tuned up or down a semitone to put it back in it's original pitch. I never ran into this on Vsampler or SFz. Also, bank 193 on OMI universe of sounds volume #1 (lead guitar) played differently in all 3 samplers and playback sampler. Kompakt 3 in this case played the samples back closer to the original than the other samplers.
I know that there are those that say play the original samples on the hardware for what it is designed for, and I agee, but your EMXP program translates these banks so well, it is like having a "software" emulator 2. Add to that the ease of assigning and manipulating samples and waveforms in todays software samplers, it's like having emulator II 2.0.

Thanks again,
Rod
PS If you need specific error messages or banks let me know and I can get you the information.
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »

Mmmm.... that's the problem with all the software which claim to support SF2 (including EMXP  Wink ) !
They actually don't *fully* support SF2 most of the time, or they handle the limits and constraints specified by Emu in their SoundFont2 specification completely differently.

When I was looking for software which I could use for testing the EMXP SF2 translation results and also for investigating some of the more complex features of SF2 banks, I was quite disappointed by the degree the SF2 specs are supported by most "SF2 compatible" software out there.

In fact there was only one way for me to get 100 percent reliable test results: using the original Vienna SoundFont editor of CreativeLabs combined with a Creative soundcard (Audigy 2 ZS). Even the Viena freeware clone is weak in the more complex SF2 details, especially in the modulator part which is important for things like velocity, crossfades, and any realtime control in general.
The disadvantage of Creative Vienna of course is that it ONLY supports SF2 and that it requires Creative hardware as a dongle.

So I understand from your analysis that Kompakt is not that reliable in its SF2 support, while SFZ and VSampler3 are. Right ? But isn't SFZ quite limited in supporting SF2 specs either ? Maybe the presets all play, but some parameters are ignored ?

///E-Synthesist

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EII Library for EmulatorX2

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines