E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - CF card boot issues

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:00:21 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  CF card boot issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: CF card boot issues  (Read 4122 times)
chrisr710

« on: July 22, 2009, 11:56:46 AM »

Hello,
I am working on an emulator iii, and have installed the cf card with S.C.S.I. adapter. The scsi to IDE is the AEC-7720U, and works fine. The CF card adapter is an Addonics ADEBIDECF cf card adapter. I have formatted the drive with the default settings, saved a bank to the drive, restarted, and copied the software to the drive. I am certain the software is on the cf: I can boot with a floppy, remove the floppy, then put a fresh floppy into the disk drive. I can then copy the software FROM the cf drive and load it onto a floppy, and I can then boot from that floppy just fine.
However, it will not boot from the CF drive. The LED lights on the adapter, indicating that the e3 is checking the drive, but it never goes to the "loading system", just keeps checking the other SCSI id's.
I have changed SCSI id to 1,2, 4, etc, and everything works fine except it doesn't want to boot. If I put a hard drive in there, it boots from that fine.
SO, I was thinking the CF to IDE adapter was not configured to be bootable, but there is only one jumper on it, and that's a master/slave setting. If I set it to slave, it doesn't work at all.
Do I need to try another CF to IDE adapter? Or does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks.
Chris Rowland
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:11:25 PM »

I remember having the same problem at the time when I installed my CF card.

I had to buy a new CF IDE card adapter. Some of those adapters won't let you boot while others will.

David
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 12:19:06 PM »

Are you using the 1 gb Kingston cf card
that has the image of a white triangle and purple triangle?

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
chrisr710

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »

Wow, you guys are fast! Yes, it is the white flower with a purple triangle... 1 gb.
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 05:11:44 PM »

http://yhst-24919672089015.stores.yahoo.net/bootable-dual-ide-to-cf-converter-adapter.html

this is the adapter i purchased.  PLEASE NOTE it is a dual ide to cf converter BUT you can only put one cf card in it.

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
12bit

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 09:42:27 AM »

http://yhst-24919672089015.stores.yahoo.net/bootable-dual-ide-to-cf-converter-adapter.html

this is the adapter i purchased.  PLEASE NOTE it is a dual ide to cf converter BUT you can only put one cf card in it.

And it works for you ? Can you tell me how you set the jumpers ?

Thanks !

Kenneth
12bit.com

E-mu Systems Emulator, Emulator II+, Emulator III, Emulator III Rack, Emulator IIIXP, SP12 Turbo, E-mu Systems SP1200 (gray face), Drumulator + Pad Controller, Emax, Emax II, E6400 and E6400 Ultra + a lot of other synths/samplers.
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 06:04:15 PM »

yes it works. 

http://eiiiforum.com/picsfromusers/eiiicf/IMG_1252.JPG  image is a bit blurry.

see the jumper on the upper left side below the circle.

there are three pins vertically arranged.  the jumper should be on the bottom 2 pins as seen in the image.

Just to confirm on page 5 of this thread http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=4.60

I wrote an extensive guide based upon Forum Users advice/instructions (Big up to Karl Scott for helping me get my CF Card working ) etc.

1. Have you read this as well as read all the posts on that thread? 

2.Have you confirmed that the pins are in the correct setting on your Acard AEC-7720U (refer to forum thread link with the CF installation guide i posted pics of jumper settings for the AEC)

3. Also one more thing to think of... When I start up my EIII booting from the CF (HD so to speak) it does take a little time before the OS is seen on the CF card.  It's not immediate, and it goes over the SCSI ID checking process several times.

Hope this fixes your CF issue if not report back on what you did, and any new progress if anything.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - CF card boot issues

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines