E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - VCF-Issue with first Lower-Voice

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:25:45 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EI Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  VCF-Issue with first Lower-Voice
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: VCF-Issue with first Lower-Voice  (Read 3189 times)
Rio

« on: September 24, 2017, 12:02:31 PM »

Hi there,

I got an issue with the Filter of the first Lower Voice (Voice A). The filter seems to be open the whole time and can't be closed f.e. by changing the cutoff with the slider. Only if you open the filter completely all voices sounds identically.

After a cross check of the SSM2044 without any success I check the control pins on IC33 Pins 2,5 and 6 against a working voice ... unfortunately no difference. Then I look after the passiv resistor network that leads to the Cntl-Pin 13 on the SSM ... also no difference. At least I change the SSM capacitors 3 x 1000pF and 1 x 220pF ... no success at all.

I think it's a interresting problem ... did I overlook something ? Is there another mechanism to control the filter cutoff ... or did you have any idea what else cause such symptoms ?

I greatly appreciate your help or hints ...  
Rio

Update: I added a part of the filter schematic and a wav file as attachement. And one more question ... is it correct that the EMU1 Filter Cutoff is adjustable in only 8 steps ?   

* EMU1_Filter.png (464.06 KB, 792x601 - viewed 736 times.)
* 2017_09_24_Emulator_1_Fehler_Lower_Voice.wav (2422.53 KB - downloaded 373 times.)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 11:41:46 AM by Rio » Logged
Rio

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 10:18:02 AM »

I solved it ... nothing spooky with this problem. My "known good" Cross-Check SSM is now a "known bad" SSM !

After the replacement of the socket nothing else could be the cause of this problem, so I repeat all my steps during repair and found that my known good SSM shows the same behaviour as the one in the defective voice. It must be died really quiet ... without any notice from me Shocked)

Now all voices are working. I replaced all SSM-2044 Filter against SSI-2144 with little adapter boards. They sound really good in this Emulator 1 and first of all they all sound exactly equal.

For everyone who is interrested : The Emulator 1 has only 8 different VCF-Settings available corresponding to the 3 Bits from IC33 Pin 6,5, and 2. Depending on their switch-state (0 or 5V) they create the control voltage at pin 13 of the SSM Filter through the following passive resistor network. For the whole filter range from completly close to completely open you can measure a voltage from round about -35mV to +35mV at the Control Pin of the SSM. At my opinion these 8 steps are absolutely enough for a manual setting per Slider.

First thought about this was ... only eight steps ? Did they realize a form of PWM at these pins to get a higher resolution ? Look at the 100nF capacitor at the control pin ... it might be possible to realize it with todays computing power but not with these ancient Z-80.

As I read there was a hardware option available for expanding the Emulator 1 possibilities regarding Filter Cutoff ADSR and Q-Control. Does anyone has information about it ?   

Keep on repairing and sharing your results ...
Rio

Update : Added a picture of the SSI-2144 Filter with adapter board.

* SSI2144_with_Adapter.JPG (580.92 KB, 1984x1488 - viewed 723 times.)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 01:52:52 AM by Rio » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 03:40:11 AM »

As I read there was a hardware option available for expanding the Emulator 1 possibilities regarding Filter Cutoff ADSR and Q-Control. Does anyone has information about it ?  

I think what you mean is the JL Cooper GenMod retrofit:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/34217597@N08/3693011856
Rio

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 10:09:59 AM »

Hi,

thank you for the reply. It's the first time I see a picture of this ... looks a little bit ugly  Tongue
Is it A,D,S,R, Env Amount and Q Controls separately for Upper/Lower Voice ?

I searched the Legacy section on JL Coopers Website but found nothing about this GenMod Retrofit.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - VCF-Issue with first Lower-Voice

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines