E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Hi I'm new. (and just picked up the EII...horrible story)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 03:19:52 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  Hi I'm new. (and just picked up the EII...horrible story)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Hi I'm new. (and just picked up the EII...horrible story)  (Read 13084 times)
Zomnius

« on: August 08, 2009, 12:30:03 PM »

and picking up a II+ next week (again.) sold mine january 2007. And i never slept another night Wink

Finally found a decent one!

I like to make it a nice part of my live setup when doing big gigs.

I also have a couple of those magazines/newsletters from emu. and a couple of old floppies. IS there a exchange going on? I will see, or I will create one.

like to hear from tips tricks and sounds!

Cheers Zom
« Last Edit: August 13, 2009, 01:21:00 PM by Zomnius » Logged
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 01:52:20 PM »

Welcome (back) Zom !

So finally you have another EII - remember I'm the one that bought your previous one up in 2007 Smiley

But using it in big live gigs seems kind of a risk to me. On the other hand... you may remember that my (your) EII+ fell of a chair in my studio when I was checking why the second floppy drive was not working well. At first I was in panic of course, but then I was surprised to see that after falling on the ground, the floppy drive worked 100% fine again (up to today) and all key contacts worked fine again also.
So perhaps your new EII+ could benefit of some rough handling on gigs too Smiley
Still... I think I was very lucky and I would never use it on gigs...

Your question to exchange floppy disks is perhaps somewhat outdated because most EII users probably are exchanging SoundDesigner files in an electronic way now. I don't know about a group for this though. I guess most people succeeded in getting a copy of the Emu factory banks and/or the OMI CDROMs in SD format, so except for user-made sound banks there's probably not a lot to exchange anymore.
Note that OMI Volumes 1 and 2 can be legally bought for about 75 USD each (that's 1000 banks !) and a big selection has been made by Rob from emulatorarchive too and he's selling it for an even lower price.

You newsletters may be very interesting to some of us (including me). These ones are hard to find today.

Good luck with your new EII+ !

///E-Synthesist
Zomnius

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 12:34:29 PM »

Hehe long time indeed,
it was you and what a story on the Eii I sold you.

I know it is a dinosaur and i'm reading lots of painfull stories about rusty sockets and so on. But it is also built like a tank.

Only big gigs, and i like to show of with this thing. I kept my oberheim and use 3,5" and a fem 5,25 floppy's on it, and it still hits everyting through the mix.

my plan is to set up my krzwl k2500rs and emu 5000 including synthax drives as the source. I am trying to get an oberheim master key - dektop - vintage thing. You had the strummer, the drummer, cyclone etc. One of them has masterkeyboard functions.

Thank you all for the welcom e package. A lot happened since the beginning of 2007 within the EII community Wink

Reading about the software you wrote and the former service engineer from france!

Superbe. Maybe i can add value in sound design or live tips we'll see.

Cheers and thanks again!

Zom

Zomnius

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 01:15:23 AM »

I ment the oberheim dpx-1
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:01:46 AM »

But it is also built like a tank.

Uhhm....  you mean looking like a tank, built like a prototype ?!...

Wink
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 02:09:55 AM »

and the former service engineer from france!

The only problem is that he is french... Grin (see attachment)

* GUIDE_TO_FRANCE.pdf (8.12 KB - downloaded 333 times.)
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 12:26:17 PM »

The only problem is that he is french...  (see attachment)

The attachment seems to quite accurate indeed  Grin

But there's one thing which is not exactly correct:
"(...) It is bounded by Germany, Spain, Switzerland and some smaller nations of no particular importance and with no decent shops. (...)"

I don't agree with the "smaller nations" part of this sentence (Belgium !)  Wink
Zomnius

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 01:19:07 PM »

hehe, and the netherlands hehe.

cheers zom
Zomnius

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 01:20:28 PM »

maybe someone knows a broken one somewhere? than I can use that one as a fancy masterkeyboard, and parts supplier. and playing my dpx and e5000.

cheers zom
rokuez
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 08:54:11 AM »

http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=318.0  <-- thread about replacing keys.  a kawai k1's keys can be used.

if you are gigging with the EII, leave a floppy disk in the drive when you carry it around.

this is what i was told by one of the guys i bought one of my eii's from.  He said whenever you are moving or carrying an eii around to always have a floppy disk in the drive(s)

Macbook Pro 2.6 Ghz, 2.3 intel cpu w/ RME Fireface 800 Mackie HR824 s, PC p4 2.3 180 gig hd, 2 gb ram, Emu 1212m adat out 2 the rme, M-Audio Midisport 2x2, & . Atari ST Notator SMPTE Tracker, Yamaha kx88 , E-mu Emulator II, 2 Emu Emulator III rack, Prophet 5 Rev2, Andromeda
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2009, 09:15:13 AM »

Normally, when the machines came from factory, they had a cardboard diskette. Some idiots started the machine with it and mosyt of the time, it was blowing away the floppy reader.
I insulted the guys at the factory, telling them they should put some real diskettes instead.

Pffff....
Zomnius

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 01:29:50 PM »

I drove 336 km to northern Germany to pick up an EII. He is the first owner, bought it for apprix 21000deutch mark (10k dollars) back in early eighties (84) and the machine never left his studio at home. He was approx in his late 50's. We got the machine in the livingroom, and it was a really stunning new looking machine, all the original stuf came with it: manual, disks (and 1000 5,25 or so more) pedals etc. He told me it was a plus although it showed the old logo's. But he had it upgraded with extra memory back then, and an extra drive!
We took a box with discs and found his favorate string disc. switched the machine on, First disk, was not firing, second disc (also string sound), yes! it worked.

Headphone on the mix..... output and, the nicest sounding fat strings since 2007 Wink

He became enthousisatic as well and began carring leads of discs upstairs..

and i produced a smile from ear to ear....

...........................................Super story so far.................

but then suddenly whit smoke from left behind, and a smell. Quickly he pulled out the power cord. And we both were quit.........

We made a deal and i took it back to my home, after a 336km drive.

Shit!Z!@^%!*&@&^#  What now! Finally had it in my hands.

Probabley elco's and power supply.

So question:

what are the specs of the power supply?

help!!?!??!

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 02:31:36 PM »

What is "elco's" ?
Zomnius

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 04:01:17 PM »

electrolytic capacitor, i read about it on the net that they die inside old synths.

will a replacement of the power supply do?

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 04:26:46 AM »

Forget about it, just change the power supply.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Hi I'm new. (and just picked up the EII...horrible story)

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines