E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Hi I'm new. (and just picked up the EII...horrible story)

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:33:23 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII General Discussion
| | |-+  Hi I'm new. (and just picked up the EII...horrible story)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Hi I'm new. (and just picked up the EII...horrible story)  (Read 13086 times)
Zomnius

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2009, 06:37:03 PM »

Thx doc.

Where can i find the specs of the power supply? Or can i find one? I noticed i just missed an ebay sell of one.

cheers. Zom
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 02:00:35 AM »

There is the diagram of the power supply biut I would not rely on it !

If someone here could, occasionaly, measure the voltages and give the pinout, it would be great.
Believe it or not, I don't have it.

* EmulatorII_PSU_Schematic.pdf 2 (118.79 KB - downloaded 335 times.)
Zomnius

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 09:16:44 AM »

Thanks anyway doc!

esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 11:52:37 AM »

Zom,

If you're not a DIY kind of guy, you could contact synth repairer Boemstjak in Castricum (Netherlands, not that far from you). I'm sure he'll be able to repair your EII (PSU) !
See http://www.synthdoctor.nl/ (I don't want to make advertisement for him, I just want to help you  Smiley )

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 01:36:40 PM »

Its very kind from you.

Thanks.
Zomnius

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »

Ah i remember tha t you were on oure way to him that day you bought my eii. thx. I will. Thanks!

I am a diy only on easy things when they are sought out inc photo's. (polysix batt damage repair etc)

p.s. look at www.synthesizer.startkabel.nl for more repair stuff.

cheers zom.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »

With the experience I've got, I would not even touch this power supply, just swap it because, for example, if you forget to put back the wires from the input voltage selector, the power supply just explodes.

There is a way to find some switching power supplies at low cost, wich are protected as well in input and output, for the price of the capacitors.

Don't loose your time with this shit wich is a nightmare.

All we need is the wiring of the actual PSU (voltages) and then, we can find how to change it.

Regards
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 04:03:13 PM »

Hi I just got on this forum after reading around on it. I am a tech that is working on a bunch of emulator 2's
One comment is what are "Elco's they are connectors used in many electronics.
And so are electrolytic capacitors! they are not the same.
The Elco pins can become corroded and resistive so they may stop operating especially at the power supply connections.
A common problem is the solder points below this connector need to be re soldered. each disk drive has two voltages 12 and 5 to power the drives. check them first!
The capacitors on these units seem to hold up fine although some may need replacing. also the MT4264 memory chips are a common failure causing boot problems. 
I had about 12 of them bad on one unit. they are rare and hard to find now. used on many old apple computers as well as others. feel free to drop me an email for questions. I have memory test disk's and scanner test disks i may sell copies of. plus debug Eproms.
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 04:46:13 PM »

Also any of you in Los Angeles can go to Advanced musical electronics to have your EII's repaired.
http://www.advancedmusical.com/
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 09:16:28 AM »

As well, one can see that the connector FEMALE, the one having wires, may get overheated and brown. The best is to take away the contact with a wire (by pushing with a tiny screwdriver thru the window and put back the contact in place.

On the PCB, take away the old solder, resolder. You may even scratch away the varnish on the pcb track in order to allow a bigger surface for the solder.
Chaztech

Relativity!

« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2009, 04:00:28 PM »

Exactly! thanks DOC!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2009, 02:11:44 AM »

Its a pleasure !

There's a pic of a burned connector. As you can see, its more obvious on the yellow wires, wich distribute de +5V, and even the PSU standoffs and the air (cooling) vents are brown.

* E2-PSU.jpg (426.71 KB, 945x709 - viewed 544 times.)
Zomnius

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2009, 03:18:55 PM »

Hi,

Well this sounds very familliar.  As we tried to run a disk, the power supply blew.

Probably we will fix it next week, but a parts list would come in handy though. Does anyone has such a list? That will ease up the recovering of a psu.

So anyone who buys an emu II should check on the corroded disk connections I suppose.

thx you all.

Cheers Zom

(I can still smile, 'cause my polymoog is in a worse bad shape haha)
Zomnius

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2009, 03:20:32 PM »

@ chaztech,  for the MT4264 , what Apple do you mean, the Apple II or mac?

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2009, 03:31:51 AM »

@ chaztech : happy for you, you got the Memory test disks etc.. that you may SALE.

I don't think we are selling anything here, I could as well sell my advices. You should go on E-Bay for this. I don't me you have to send diskettes all around, its just that it can be possible to upload them somewhere.

======
Zomnius, change the power supply !

I am finishein an excell file allowing to plug some car lamps instead of of the E-Mu when you try to repair the PSU. This would avoid to blow everything.
This excell file alows to calculate the required power of the car lightbulbs (wich are on 12 V) according to the PSU output towards the current.

I have put the normalized voltage (12V) and powers, but it may differ in the States.

I will post this I think tonight. For free.

Cheers

« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 03:33:23 AM by dr.c » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Hi I'm new. (and just picked up the EII...horrible story)

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines