E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator II: Supply Rails and PSU Harness Colour Codes

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:31:50 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emulator II: Supply Rails and PSU Harness Colour Codes
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Emulator II: Supply Rails and PSU Harness Colour Codes  (Read 73464 times)
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2013, 07:13:57 AM »

Would it be possible to fit in TWO of the T-40Cs (chained), to seperately supply the drives?
Greetz,
Elm.
lunatic

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2013, 07:41:34 AM »

technically yes and form what i've seen, it should not be a problem with space either... Just heat development could be critical.

E-mu Emulator II + HD, E-mu EMAX, E-mu SP-12, E-mu Esi 32, Dynacord ADD-one + ADD-drive, Simmons Clap Trap, Moog Slim Phatty, Juno 106, OB Matrix 6R, OTO Biscuit
kdk

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2013, 09:31:11 AM »

How would the two PSUs stay balanced so that one doesn't run at 100% output and get burned up?
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »

How would the two PSUs stay balanced so that one doesn't run at 100% output and get burned up?

Huh  Huh  Huh
I have no idea, I am no tech, that's why I ask those 'stupid' questions...  Roll Eyes
lunatic

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2013, 06:49:07 AM »

Huh  Huh  Huh
I have no idea, I am no tech, that's why I ask those 'stupid' questions...  Roll Eyes

If you can determine which line pulls which wattage it should work. Anyways i would not mess with the EII on this delicate level just to save a few bucks...

E-mu Emulator II + HD, E-mu EMAX, E-mu SP-12, E-mu Esi 32, Dynacord ADD-one + ADD-drive, Simmons Clap Trap, Moog Slim Phatty, Juno 106, OB Matrix 6R, OTO Biscuit
who

« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2013, 07:53:32 AM »

UPDATE:  Regarding my T-60C install, I think I have a heat build-up/thermal issue.  Has anyone experienced the same?

I'm going to install a low-noise fan next to the supply and see if that helps.
logiclust

i like toast

« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2014, 08:52:13 AM »

I just looked into getting one of these Mean Well 709-T60C for my eii and they've been discontinued. figures. anyway, I wanted to know how/if they're still working for you guys? i plan on still running 1 floppy drive along with an HxC that i just ordered.  I'm pretty sure i can find another replacement i if i use the MW as the spec.

EII, E4k, E4XT, Darwin
who

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2014, 09:01:43 AM »

No problems and please ignore my previous post in this thread.  I don't remember what the fix was, but I did not install a fan.

On a related note, I installed a different Mean Well supply in my emax and no problems thus far.
logiclust

i like toast

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2014, 09:07:19 AM »

Cool, thanks Who,

another thought… the t-60 has no 12v, correct? this is required for floppy operation, correct? Am i mistaken or would i need to find a ps that has a fourth +12v output in order to run my floppy?

cheers,
-t

EII, E4k, E4XT, Darwin
kdk

« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2014, 12:04:33 PM »

Correct - the T-60 is +5V, +15V, and -15V only.

I have been running my EII with no floppy, just an HxC in it and the T-60 is still working well. I've not had any overheating but then I have a hole where the second floppy would go so it gets good ventilation!

I did buy a second, smaller Meanwell with +12V (and probably +5V as well, and I have yet to try and get a floppy installed. I was just going to tie the grounds together on them and not worry about the +5V on the second supply.

Perhaps some day I'll install the floppy, but I have a Kyroflux on the PC with a Panasonic 5 1/4" drive that I read old floppies with and then just move everything on to the HxC.
logiclust

i like toast

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2014, 01:44:44 PM »

fantastic, thanks for the tips! I'll let you know what i end up finding

EII, E4k, E4XT, Darwin
kdk

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2014, 10:59:05 AM »

No problem!

I just bought a box of 100 EII floppies so I think I'll try getting that second Meanwell PSU piggybacked in with the first one and see if I can get the floppy running again.

I think I had some issue with the jumper settings on the EII floppy as well - does anyone have that info? I've Panasonic and the original Shugart drive we well.
Gregory

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2015, 06:08:01 AM »

I'm currently looking for an alternative replacement PSU, which would also provide +12v line for both disk drives.

As far as I understand, the original EII PSU provides two Switch Mode output lines (+5v, +12v), but the other two lines (+13.2v and -15v) are linear post regulated (for the analogue circuitry).

But is it possible and safe to use a PSU, which only provides Switch Mode outputs - even for those two lines for the analogue circuitry?

I can see from the forum that other users successfully use Mean Well T-60C (it only lacks +12v line for disks), but it seems that T-60C provides all three outputs in Switch Mode.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 05:47:52 AM by Gregory » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2015, 08:16:22 AM »

Hi!

I'm just about to install a Meanwell T-60 C in one of my EIIs.

The connectors on the powersupply are: Mains L,N, Ground, -V, +V, COM and +5V.

One question: Where do the blue and green "0V Return" cables have to be connected to?
Thanks for answering in advance,

Elm.
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2015, 02:27:13 PM »

Solved - the have to go to "COM".

Installation done - WOW.

Next I have to source a good replacement display and find courage to also install that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emulator II: Supply Rails and PSU Harness Colour Codes

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines