E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Internal Hard Disk - replacement types

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 05:53:23 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Internal Hard Disk - replacement types
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Internal Hard Disk - replacement types  (Read 81745 times)
amino

« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2008, 05:58:58 AM »

Now I know why I stopped trying before...the Acard I got is the UW version! I have order an internal 50-pin<->68-pin adapter now so hopefully I can continue to try next week...
amino

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »

In case someone's interested...  Wink

I have all the stuff I need, but other stuff has stopped me from "upgrading" the EIII. Last week I picked up nine(!) synths and two drum machines, mainly because I wanted one of the synths. I've had some work to do cleaning and servicing these. Most of them have to go soon.

Two days ago I picked up an E-max SE HD as well for 90 Euro. It worked fine, but the hard drive only worked occasionally so now I've put the flash drive solution in it instead. It works...almost. I can boot from it and I can save banks to the flash drive, but when I try to load banks I get a "Hard drive error" message. I think it has to do with the CompactFlash card being too "new". I've ordered an old, slow Kingston card instead. Smiley
dlmorley

« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2008, 05:33:42 AM »

I just installed a 1gig CF (Kingston) in my EIII and it works a treat!
after formatting and installing the software, it didn't save, but I just booted again and it seems fine
fabulous!
Escobar

« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2008, 08:04:24 AM »

Nice to see that some have success with their CF cards!  Smiley
dlmorley

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2008, 11:15:57 AM »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-GB-KINGSTON-COMPACT-FLASH-MEMORY-CARD-PHOTO-1G-CF-1GB_W0QQitemZ170222083992QQihZ007QQcategoryZ48526QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

This is the seller where I got mine
« Last Edit: May 29, 2008, 11:41:18 AM by dlmorley » Logged
shawn rudiman

« Reply #50 on: May 31, 2008, 08:46:48 AM »

escobar,

hopefully this isnt off-topic, but do you think this would work for an emax II as well.?seems like a viable solution to old drives for any scsi small size drive..?

shawn rudiman

Hi dvdborn and Chris Raw,
I know I've told you that I have installed a compact flash card (1GB) internally in my EIII rack on your bloggsite, but I guess I can repeat it here too. the solution is valid with all samplers/synthesizers/computers that use old SCSI I type of harddrives.

Here's some pictures about the solution and parts you need:
Escobar

« Reply #51 on: May 31, 2008, 11:25:09 AM »

Yes it should work with any SCSI equipped sampler/keyboard. I've tried it with EIII and Kurzweil K2000 with sucess, infact the CF card was instantly 'found' by the K2000 operating system.

On Emax Yahoo Group they already have descriptions on how to build/install a CF-card solution with
SCSI->IDE adapter for Emax I/II, so if you're not already a member of that group I recommend you to join it.

/Marko
shawn rudiman

« Reply #52 on: May 31, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »

marko,

thanks will join for sure. and sorry for the off topic. i was just extra excited.. pardon.

shawn rudiman
karlscott

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2008, 02:00:29 AM »

Hello Peeps

Got my replacement SCSI to IDE adapter today(other one was faulty), and now my CF card installation is complete and works like a charm....
Escobar

« Reply #54 on: June 07, 2008, 09:20:35 AM »

Nice to hear/read Karl  Wink
liquidzen

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 03:49:04 PM »

Hello all... I bought all the components and cables for the CF kit. I installed everything today and had jumpers on 1 / 2 / 3 / SCSI4 on 4. The EIII powered and booted fine (from floppy). When I tried to Format the CF. It showed the SCSI 4 CF... I clicked yes and it started to format. after 10 or so seconds,,, it read... SCSI HARDWARE ERROR. I tried moving the SCSI Jumper to 3 then 1... all the same. I also tried two different CF cards... same. Any ideas?
liquidzen

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2008, 10:12:18 PM »

It WORKS!!! Ok.. so i read about the flash reader having 2 jumper posts, so i checked to see if i could switch it. it only had the j1 post. i pulled off the black knob for the jumper and left it exposed.... it works. i have formatted my first CF! It was a high speed Lifetime 512 card.
Escobar

« Reply #57 on: June 15, 2008, 10:46:26 PM »

As I told before, one have to play around with the jumper settings to make it work. Nice to read that it works Liquidzen!
Synth Doctor

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2009, 01:52:48 PM »

Well, finally I got a properly working CF card in my EIII.  Smiley

Here's my magic combo:
SCSI to IDE bridge is a Yamaha V769970.
IDE to CF adapter is a brandless thingy bought off eBay Germany.
CF card is a Kingston 1 GB card.

It took about 2 hours to format and verify the CF card. After that, I installed v2.42 on the CF card, followed by a reboot. The EIII rebooted and the OS started from the CF card without any hassles. Cheesy

Before this combo, I tried an I-O Data IDSC21-E SCSI to IDE bridge together with the aforementioned brandless IDE to CF adapter and the Kingston CF card. Result was that the Kingston card got fried... So I'd suggest to stay away from the I-O Data IDSC21-E and use the Acard AEC-7720U or the Yamaha V769970 instead.
esmilez

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2009, 02:00:56 AM »

i m really scared to open my e3...well i opend my emax its no thang cause they are easy to get but an e3 not.!!!the fan is really loud or is it hard disk?
how can u open the e3?

can we get together what cards and parts really works??

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Internal Hard Disk - replacement types

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines