E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - 5.25 diskdrive for use with Windows XP?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:20:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  5.25 diskdrive for use with Windows XP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 5.25 diskdrive for use with Windows XP?  (Read 4677 times)
lennox

« on: November 11, 2009, 05:13:25 AM »

i'm still struggling with my RS422 port,wich is being looked at by a tech soon. But i was thinking about getting a 5.25 diskdrive like the old commodores 1541 serie to work under windows xp so i can save soundbanks to it.

I cam across this site,

http://rdist.root.org/2009/01/21/introducing-xum1541-the-fast-c64-floppy-usb-adapter/

This mod, lets you use the disdrive thru USB and windows xp, but what about writing the software??

Anyone tried this before or have any info on that??
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 05:26:52 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

good luck

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

sorry but this is funny.
Is E-Synthesist in the house? Maybe he's got some news....

Seriously - forget about it. Save the money.
lennox

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 06:13:03 AM »

don't spoil my MacGyver mood  Grin
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 08:07:52 AM »

Okay, try it.
You be the master if it works Cheesy
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 01:23:47 PM »

This kind of experiment *could* be interesting.
5.25 floppy drives built into PCs can not be used at all. The main reason is that the drive controller in IBM compatible PCs simply can't instruct the drive to read and write excotic disks like those of the EII.

But if a drive with a kind of built-in controller can be connected to a PC via USB, and this built-in controller is very flexible and can be programmed through USB or via the Atmel firmware to read or write exotic EII disks, then there's a chance that this could work.

The 1541 drive of Commodore however will not be the solution for EII disks.
That drive was designed for single sided disks, and it is only reliable in the first 35 tracks.
The drive is said to be able to handle two sides of a DS disk, but the range between 70 and 80 tracks is unreliable and anything above that is an even bigger gamble.
Note that EII disks carry about 540K, while the maximum (unreliable) double sided capacity of the 1541 is 360K.

But I think the 1571 disk for the Commodore 128 could be worth an experiment.
That drive could also be accessed by CP/M, and as far as I remember Emu had some equipment based on CP/M for creating EII disks. Maybe they used this hardware, I don't know.

So... why not doing this experiment (just for the fun of it) ?
Dr.C also gave a hint about the old Apple II. But I'm not sure where the diskcontroller of the Apple II drive is located (drive or Apple itself) and what characteristics it had.

In general I'm convinced that hardware *can* be made for reading and writing EII disks.
But someone has to delve into it.
Of course we are depending on the production of floppy drives in general. If that stops (and it will I guess), then it's all vintage and second hand stuff anyway.
Production of 5.25 drives has been stopped already I assume. Fortunately the EII can also use 3.5 disks.

If I would have more time I would love to do this kind of research...  Wink

///E-Synthesist 
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 03:38:49 AM »

But someone has to delve into it.
If I would have more time I would love to do this kind of research...  Wink

///E-Synthesist 

Who's capable for such a mission IF NOT you ?!  (slime... Cheesy)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - 5.25 diskdrive for use with Windows XP?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines