E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Can I boot my EIII from a SCSI Zip Drive?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:49:46 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Can I boot my EIII from a SCSI Zip Drive?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Can I boot my EIII from a SCSI Zip Drive?  (Read 2811 times)
catalist

« on: December 11, 2009, 12:18:23 PM »

Hi,

I am a fairly new owner of an EIII, got it for quite cheap (by itself with no discs) and so far I have not been able to get it booted up.

From what I could tell I successfully created a boot disk (used DS/DD disk) using OmniFlop, but when I tried to boot using the disk, the floppy drive just makes a couple 'trying to read' sounds but then the bus scan just continues through the 7 scsi IDs and then back to the Floppy again.

I did open up the EIII but when I looked inside I wasn't really sure what was safe to plug/unplug.  I did use contact cleaner on the connections for the hard drive + floppy drive but that did not work.

My question is,  can I boot from an external SCSI Zip drive?  I have a USB zip drive as well (where I could presumably transfer the OS to ..maybe using E M X P?) and then I would use that disc in the SCSI zip connected to the EIII.

The main thing I am not sure how to do is get the Operating system on the Zip drive, or if that is even possible.   I have heard that if you can get some of the sound banks loaded on a zip, that the OS is also bundled in with the sound banks.  Is there any truth to that?

Anyways, thanks so much for any help that can be offered.... I am very excited to try this machine out!!

cheers,
Alister

myspace.com/alisterjohnson
catalist

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »

Of course once I post a problem I solve it instantly!!  Turns out I was using the incorrect OS file, I was using the EIII OS file but apparently you have to use 'Emax 10*512' instead, even though it is for the EIII.  Anyways, I was able to load it to the floppy and I have the machine powered on.  Time to experiment!

Cool
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 02:08:19 PM »

congrats
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Can I boot my EIII from a SCSI Zip Drive?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines