E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Disabled outputs

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:09:34 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Disabled outputs
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Disabled outputs  (Read 13084 times)
dvdborn
Administrator

« on: February 21, 2008, 06:30:47 AM »

A common problem with aging EIII's are non working stereo outputs. If you test the unit, all 16 individual outputs will work but not the stereo ouput.

This is mostly due to a faulty relay switch on the output board. This relay switch will disable the stereo output when the machine is turned off or on to prevent a popping sound through the speakers.
The relay is labelled Aromat DS2YE-S-DC5V and is in a yellow casing.

Solution #1: Replace the relay switch or bypass it. When you bypass it you'll hear a small pop when the machine is turned off or on but it's nothing major that can destroy you speakers.

The relay switch is the yellow component in the attached picture EIII_relay.jpg

Attached is an excerpt from the EIII Technical Manual showing the output board schematics. The relay switch is the component with the red circle around it.

Solution #2: (provided by Dr. C): The +5V transits to the board to power the relay by the leftmost flat cable sometimes becomes bad. In order to repair it, make a joint with a piece of wire (yellow if possible), from one of the yellow cables of the power connector (the one of the cards cage) and pin 8 of IC3.

* EIII-relay.jpg (59.04 KB, 802x477 - viewed 1502 times.)

* outputboard_schema.jpg (111.55 KB, 724x1024 - viewed 1081 times.)
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 02:48:23 PM »

Just a quick note if anyone is looking for a replacement relay switch (DS2YE-S-DC5V).
Senso sent me a message that he has the item on stock (07/08/2008).

Here is his website: http://www.vintageplanet.nl

David
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 10:56:11 AM »

I've never seen a dead realy (on an EIII, I mean...)
micromoog

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 11:08:23 AM »

Now i have this problem...individuals are ok, stereo (or one of them) nothing.

I'll check the upper points...
bitleytm

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 11:40:59 AM »

Hi!

We are trying to locate which soldering points to work with in order to perform the bypass. Any more clear hints / images would be utterly welcome. A mint E3 here with dead stereo outs.

Best,
Patrick
bitleytm

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:29:04 PM »

Umm... not entirely dead. When trying to bypass some of the points beneath the AROMAT, we got a _very_ silent sound. Like a neighbour is playing a piano very silently. Wink
bitleytm

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:53:15 PM »

Gee, this is frustrating! Cheesy

1. When we f*k around with flat cable #B (2nd from the left) sound comes and goes intermettently. It's like the "real" volume is there for 0,5 secs every time, then instantly falls; same periodicity of this all the time.

2. Question then, is the relay broken or the op-amp? The (replacable) op amp gets fairly hot; is this normal?

3. Bypassing the relay and / or giving it more power, which connectors exactly? Pics please.

This particular EIII has travelled all over Sweden to its new destination and we wouldn't want to have to have to take it back.
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 05:07:57 AM »

Hi Bitelytm,

I lost your email so I'll answer your questions here.

I don't have a clear picture of the relay in my EIII to show you how I bypassed it. It would mean removing the output board.

But if you look at the schematics at http://dvdborn.blogspot.com/2006/08/keeping-emulator-iii-alive-part-2.html I connected pin 2 with pin 4 and pin 5 with pin 7.

David
bitleytm

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:26 AM »

Thanks a lot, should be fairly easy then. And this is for the IC3, op-amp kind of circuit soldered to the board? Placed to the right of the yellow Aromat relay? Best / Patrick
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 03:50:09 PM »

No no, that's for the relay. The yellow component on the output board.
bitleytm

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 04:01:13 AM »

Ok, hehe. No worries. I have the EIII assembled again, looking good... working less good. I don't think I dare touching it with a soldering iron, I should stick to programming sounds instead. I've not purchased this EIII yet; it's on evaluation here. An old dream machine of mine; tried it in a store when I was 19 years old, 1989... Wink Been dreaming of it since then. When they act like this it's like telling me to get real. And get back to using Reason... :-)
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 08:06:00 AM »

two pairs of shoes  Roll Eyes
midipuppies

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 08:26:50 AM »

It really is a simple fix. Just sounds intimidating.

http://eiiiforum.com/index.php?topic=866.0

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
bitleytm

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2011, 09:46:53 PM »

These shoes aren't made for walking. Operation performed; difference: Output low, something unstable w flat cable B still. Hearing it in stereo now, but too low. Still looks good though... :-)
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 01:48:25 AM »

What a bunch of pussies... its about the 1096 time I give the solution...

CHANGE the flat cables, the crimping is faulty.

Once this is done, make a connection between one of the yellow cables coming from the power supply to the backpanel, and pin 8 of IC3 on the jack board.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Disabled outputs

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines