E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII with a Macintosh Setup

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:25:53 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII General Discussion
| | |-+  EIII with a Macintosh Setup
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EIII with a Macintosh Setup  (Read 6694 times)
FairlightCMI

« on: February 08, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »

Hi,

I was just going to get rid of a Macintosh Powerbook 5300c, which I had bought in the past to hook up to my EII to run Sounddesigner. (It ended up not being compatible and I had to buy a Mac Classic instead for that purpose). But then I thought...maybe it can be of use with my EIII. Does anyone know if the 5300c is compatible for use with the EIII?

If it is compatible...does anyone have any experience with using a Mac along with the EIII? I saw that Rob from the Emulatorarchive has the EMU librarian software posted for download...is that any good? It seems that it connects via MIDI... How practical is it? Would Alchemy be better? Is it still available somewhere?

Questions, questions, questions....   Roll Eyes

E-MU Emulator II (x2), Emax II Rack
mgronroos

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2010, 07:28:57 AM »

Hi,

I actually used the PB 5300c for quite some time with both the EIII KB and XP, and it worked fine.
I recall that some programs need both the SCSI and the MIDI communication to work properly.

The EIII editor is nice, but it is actually faster to press the keys on the EIII front panel than klicking the mouse button.
The browser/librarian is supposed to be good, but I always found it more convenient to print the bank names on paper..

I my opinion Alchemy is no substitute for the librarian software, they work in parallel.
The editor/librarian is about controlling the EIII, Alchemy is about creating sound.
I find an Emulator III in a SCSI/MIDI setup with Alchemy (and Turbo Synth) is still one of the most exciting and rewarding sound creation environments on the planet.
It has a hands on laboratory feel that is hard to get in modern DAWs.
The results you get can be truly unique. And the environment inspires to experiments.

So, yes, you can use the 5300c if you have the right interface/cables.
Alchemy is a wonderful sound creation tool and really makes the EIII a state of the art audio workstation, even by today's standards.
All the functionality is there, the only difference being that digital processing is not in realtime.
The editor/librarian is cool, but at least I never really used it.
If Alchemy is available somewhere I do not know. Pehaps someone out here knows where you can find it?

Best regards,

Michael Grönroos

Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2010, 08:09:33 AM »

the librarian is cool when dealing with eIII banks that come out of emxp containing converted wavs. it's easy assigning the samples to their key range(s) with the librarian.
midipuppies

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2010, 08:34:45 AM »

Alchemy and turbosynth are posted on the EII Yahoo group.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/emulatorII-list/

Jay

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
FairlightCMI

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 12:24:01 PM »

Guys...thanks a lot for this info. This helps a lot.  I'm definitely interested in creating new sounds, so Alchemy sounds intriguing.

What type of midi interface do I need in order to connect the PB to the EIII? Would it be something that connects to the serial outs of the pb? Any specific brands/model I can search for?

dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »

If you're planning on using Alchemy you won't need a MIDI interface. You need to connect the PB to the EIII via SCSI.
FairlightCMI

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 04:20:47 PM »

Thanks David.

ARES

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 10:35:30 AM »

Hello Guys,

I'm trying to emulate MAc on PC... Ilt works and i've put Alchemy...ok

But Alchemy do not recognize my EMUIII.

Someone have tried to do this?

Is there something to do between Alchemy and EIII in the scsi ID?

If the solution is impossible with emulate , which sort of MAC function... if i must buy one used???

By the way , ive a PC for now ... and what is the use to connect EIII with scsi to a PC???

Tanks a lot
raspelhaspel

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 12:03:10 PM »

Alchemy and turbosynth are posted on the EII Yahoo group.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/emulatorII-list/

Jay

Hello

I would like to own Alchemy 3. Are there other ways to get the software?
Thanks a lot

jdrummer
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII with a Macintosh Setup

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines