E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - help! modified eIII with non-original scsi mount/scsi errors

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:59:35 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  help! modified eIII with non-original scsi mount/scsi errors
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: help! modified eIII with non-original scsi mount/scsi errors  (Read 11297 times)
vegas

« on: March 15, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »

HI,

I've had my machine for 2 days now (keys with 8 megs internal, hd is mounted vertically)

I finally got the o/s to (load 2.42) via floppy/omniflop and even made some copies. 
at first i had erratic behaviour with digital mode and then did a recalibrate and all seems ok so I can edit my sample now.  BUT when I truncate it reads scsi hardware error!! Im using only floppies.  why?
Allow me to further explain my machine.

It seems to me that this machine was modified to bypass the original scsi port and instead a new scsi mount was installed on the opposite side .I dont know why.
It seems that the internal hardrive is also connected to this new scsi output . perhaps the new scsi mount is supposed to replace the internal HD?

The original scsi area is missing the interface from the pcb board. That long cable 'digital jacks'? is attached to this missing scsi area but of course it's not leading anywhere.  Also the long 'digital jacks' cable (the one going to scsi area) has some cables cut out. Is that supposed to be like that?
I'm guessing that the cable or scsi interface got fucked somehow and then someone decided to bypass the scsi and run it from the internal HD.  btw the internal hd doesnt seem to work? doesnt load up without the floppy

When i hoop up my scsi zip 100 to the new scsi mount the machine freezes.
when I use the floppy it loads up, I can sample, all keys play back (although the upper register is not pitched evenly)
BUT I can't truncate sample- It reads scsi hardware error.
I;ve unseated that scsi chip and reseated all the boards and have read many of the posts on this site.

I know this is probably very confusing to describe-I've tried to upload photos as that would help but it says to contact administrator /no room etc..etc.  I will try to upload some later.

Anyone? thoughts/ideas??

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 08:13:15 AM »

Geeee.... what is this mess ?

Can you make some pictures, please ? THIS is strange...
A picture worths a thousand words.
vegas

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:20:01 AM »

yes i would like to upload pics but i cannot. it askms me to contact administrator
vegas

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:32:15 AM »

I uploaded some images of this at:
please have a look. there are some comments i left to help explain

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/asrvegas/

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 08:47:21 AM by vegas » Logged
vegas

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 09:01:40 AM »

also.....

after looking at the schematics perhaps my internal HD is also on the wrong side?  the one in the schematics is left of the card cage.  Mine is right of the card cage, next to the power supply.-i guess to be closer to the new scsi port??
ditabeardmemo

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 10:27:05 AM »

Hi Vegas:

Where are you located? I don't know if this will help you, but according to the sticker on the back of your Emulator III, modification and/or service was performed on the unit at some point by dBm Pro Audio. dBm is a major equipment repair company based in New York City. They're still in business and might be able to tell you more about the unit if you give them a call.

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »

THIS is something !

Who did it ? Bin-Laden, or what ?

Sorry, can't help you.
Twosocks

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 01:59:45 PM »

Are you sure you have no scsi-ID conflicts? Doublecheck!!!
Also make sure that termination is correct. Also look at termination power!

Another point: According to dvdborn: "The EIII needs its internal HD to operate. You can boot the machine with a OS floppy disk but the OS still requires a HD to be present on the internal SCSI cable." (First message in "Topic: Internal Hard Disk - replacement types")

Regards,

Peter.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:05:06 PM by Twosocks » Logged

Collector of Vintage gear.
vegas

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 02:06:32 PM »

HI,

surely this could be fixed somehow.

so i switched scsi drives to another zip 100 plus and this at least does not make the sampler crash.
but when trying to assign Id's:

it doesnt recognize any drives, what if i bypass the internal HD and go direct to the scsi ? Or did I read somewhere that the internal HD has to be hooked up or else nothing will be seen.-I suppose that is what is happening now-no scsi drives are being seen-wouldn't that mean that my internal HD is broken and therefore I should just replace my internal drive? than I would at least have an internal HD.

or:
what if i swap the cut scsi cable? Im wondering why it was cut..my guess is to accomodate the mod.

or: how about finding a replacement scsi interface and resoldering it to the original scsi pcb re hooking it and thereby bringing it back to original status??

suggestions?advice?
thx

vegas

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 02:10:13 PM »

re: two socks

well the devices are not being recognized so there is no scsi id conflict i have spotted.
I dont know if the zip 100+ is terminated ( i read soemwhere that these are auto terminating) how would i terminate it?

and yes i read that the e3 needs an internal HD to operate , does that mean a working internal HD?
If so than I should just look for a replacement internal HD
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:12:51 PM by vegas » Logged
Twosocks

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 02:21:00 PM »

Last week I've been busy getting my internal drive replaced with a CF-card. Wrong termination, termination power fault (it should only have one voltage source), wrong scsi-ID's, they all can cause strange behaviour. Like not showing any ID's.

First  test: only have the internal HD and the floppy connected.
If needed format the HD, than copy the system to it and make sure at least ONE bank is saved to it.

vegas

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »

i cant format the interrnal HD its not recognized

Twosocks

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »

Have you set the ID jumper on the internal drive? Should be ID 1
What does it say in the module: (Master #7) Disk utilities, change ID?
Select Device Type EIII, this is the ID from the EIII Default = D6
Changing here is the actual scsi ID number!

Next select device type HD 300.
It should say D1 Internal HD.

Does it say something else?

(As for the changing ID's in the HD 300 part: I'm confused about this part, so don't change anything until you are sure of what you are doing.)

Try to load a bank. What drives can you select there? Floppy and what else? Only D1 Internal HD should show.

As for termination: Termination should be set (jumper on HD) Termination power should NOT be set. The power comes directly from the EIII.

During this all, nothing should be connected to the outside scsi port.

Regards,

Peter.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 04:51:42 PM by Twosocks » Logged

vegas

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:26:17 PM »

I found an emulator 3 rack with what looks like I have:

"s it look like this http://www.eiiiforum.com/picsfromusers/eiiicomparison/IMG_1026.JPG

Notice the extra connection on the back that goes through the word  E-mu
That is a port connected to the scsi cable for an external CD. 

I got this EIII from emu HQ near santa cruz.  It was the EIII that the tech would have in front of  them when customers called in so they could walk through the problems with an EIII in front of them."

vegas

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 07:50:37 AM »

some more pics with explanations should help
pls see album

http://img641.imageshack.us/g/89454318.jpg/
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - help! modified eIII with non-original scsi mount/scsi errors

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines