E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Disk Utilities: Change SCSI ID# HD300 What does it actually do?

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:12:26 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Disk Utilities: Change SCSI ID# HD300 What does it actually do?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Disk Utilities: Change SCSI ID# HD300 What does it actually do?  (Read 3505 times)
Twosocks

« on: March 16, 2010, 05:02:19 PM »

It says in the manual: This utility allows you to change the SCSI ID number of the EIII (not
it's internal hard disk) or the HD300 in the event that they conflict
with a device on the SCSI bus having the same ID number.

What is this HD300? (A scsi controller?)

Is this  a remap of scsi ID's, so you change D1 internal HD to D2 CD-Rom without the need to change jumpers?

Could someone please explain....

Regards,

Peter.

One answer found about HD 300:

On emulatorarchive it said, under upgrades:

HD300 External Hard Disk  In the summer of 1988 E-mu Systems launched the HD300 external hard disk for the EIII. This rugged 300 Megabyte hard disk was designed to complement the EIII Rack or Keyboard (it does nicely match the sleek black EIII Rack with its magenta racing stripe). It transfers data over the super high speed SCSI  interface. The HD300 comes loaded with ten banks of factory EII sounds (a $950 value). Each 4MB bank will load in under nine seconds.

Okay, so that's cleared  Grin

That only leaves open: What exactly does this SCSI ID# change do?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:57:47 PM by Twosocks » Logged

Collector of Vintage gear.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »

Imagine channels, like MIDI for example...

SCSI channels, only ONE DEVICE may be on the one channel.

If you have  a hard disk you cannot change the SCSI ID (channel), wich is iunfoirtunately on the same channel as the Emu, you vcan change tha channel of the E-mu itself to avoid a conflict.
Twosocks

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 05:17:10 AM »

Imagine channels, like MIDI for example...

SCSI channels, only ONE DEVICE may be on the one channel.

If you have  a hard disk you cannot change the SCSI ID (channel), wich is iunfoirtunately on the same channel as the Emu, you vcan change tha channel of the E-mu itself to avoid a conflict.

Changing the ID from the EIII makes sense and it works. What is not clear to me: What does the change of ID under the second option do? (Second option is changing HD300 ID).
Is that an option that only works with the actual HD300?
We are talking about SCSI I, which doesn't have the option to change ID's without hardware jumper changes.
It seems that changing anything in this menu, doesn't do anything. Or am I missing something?
(By the way, I do understand the concept of ID's in SCSI protocol, I'm not new at this.)

Thanks for your answer.  Smiley

Collector of Vintage gear.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Disk Utilities: Change SCSI ID# HD300 What does it actually do?

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines