E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Tried to install SCSI2SD. EIII no longer boots from HDD - SOLVED!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:24:36 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Tried to install SCSI2SD. EIII no longer boots from HDD - SOLVED!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Tried to install SCSI2SD. EIII no longer boots from HDD - SOLVED!  (Read 7246 times)
razo

« on: February 27, 2018, 04:09:47 PM »

I installed a v.6 SCSI2SD on the internal bus with termination = off, 4 devices scsi IDs 2-5, using power from the scsibus only. The EIII powered on but would not boot. I then tried taking out the SCSI2SD, reseating the three upper boards and reseating most connectors, but it still would not boot. The first few times it said booting from scsi 1. Then it stopped this and now just goes in an endless cycle where it checks scsi IDs. Hard disk ligths up and is spinning. Could I have overloaded/destroyed something when I connected the SCSI2SD?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 06:24:29 PM by razo » Logged
Wolfram

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 06:02:18 AM »

If it is you only internal drive, it must be terminated.
Stephencl

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:00:48 PM »

Just FYI, I could not get a v6 board to work properly on my eiii.  I tried everything.  I can format and copy software, but once I try to save a bank, I get the scsi error.

I have tried just saving the bank immediately, and I get the same error.  I have tried about 10 different SD cards including those recommended here.

razo

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:46:00 PM »

I have now got it working. I gave up v.6 and ordered a version 5 SCSI2SD and now supplying power via the molexconnector, not just from the scsi bus. Then I partitioned the first device as 1000 Mb with the scsi2sdutility, scsi ID 1, and copied a HDD disk image with EMXP that I found on the EMXP webpage under "Additional downloads". (A bit tricky, but very easy when you know how to).
When I had verified that this partition was working I configured the rest of the card with three new 1000 Mb devices. I chose to forrmat them in the EIII  itself. (The new partition were visible under Master - Disk utilities - Format disk). I turned off the EII during the verification process, for every device, because it would take several hours. So formatting all three drives takes less than five minutes.
I could not see the drive on scsi ID 2, which I think is strange.. But now I have three drives on scsi ID 1, 3 and 4, each of 1000 Mb working perfectly.

BTW, it seems that the original harddrive was damaged when I moved it - not so strange perhaps since in the manual E-mu advice to make complete backups before even trying to move it..
synthwalker

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:08:53 AM »

You should copy the OS to any partition from the EIII
Which SCSI chanel do you use for the EIII (not the HD) ? Maybe it's #2 that's why you can't see #2 from the SCSI2SD (by the way can you check it's activated with the SCSI2SD editor?)
razo

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:52:34 PM »

I have installed a SCSI2SD in my Color Classic, set up to have two drives, that is connected to the EIII and I am happy with this setup so far. So, four drives in the EIII and two drives in the CC.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 09:12:20 AM by razo » Logged
razo

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2018, 02:42:31 AM »

Running MacOS7.1 I had to turn the ColorClassic off/on one extra time to make the scsi connection work. Upgrading to MacOS7.5.3 fixed this.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Tried to install SCSI2SD. EIII no longer boots from HDD - SOLVED!

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines