E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax won't boot from HD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:07:57 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emax won't boot from HD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emax won't boot from HD  (Read 7035 times)
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« on: May 02, 2010, 04:07:58 AM »

I have just bought an Emax HD (keyboard version) and everything seemed to be fine until this morning. So far I have been trying out the disks that came with it, all load, and I formatted some of my own. however, when I boot it up it won't boot without a floppy. I have read the manual extensively and it tells me there are options under 'special' that I just don't have, so I can't even run a diagnostic on the hard disk.
It just says 'diagnostics' and then 'loading software' when I turn it on.
I am new to this, only had it for three days so it's probably something really simple- please help!
midipuppies

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »

Can you hear the H.D. spin up when you power it on? It should be a quite noticeable whirring sound followed but a half a dozen or so clicks as it mounts. I would say from tons of experience with Emax H.D.'s that the drive is most likely dead. Not a huge issue as they are still readily available on Ebay and such.
If you get stuck let me know. I have dozens of them.

Hope that gets you started.

Jay

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »

Nope, no sound whatsoever. I was hoping it wasn't dead- crap.
Are they fairly easy to fit? If you have a spare then yeah that would be great. How much would you want for it?
Is there a way I can test if it's salvageable in any way?

EDIT:

Just tried it again, and it makes a sound when I turn it on, like when you boot a computer. Then one tiny 'tick' sound, almost inaudible. Then nothing and it sticks on loading software.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 09:33:43 AM by ProudEmaxOwner » Logged
midipuppies

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:24:17 PM »

So no constant spinning? I think it's probably had the dick by the sounds of it.
I can hook u up with another for sure.
Not looking for any cash. Everything comes out in the wash.
They are REALLY EASY to replace. I am going to be replacing one in an EMAX II in a couple of days. I will take pix and take u through it. Nothing to worry about. As long as you have the O.S. on floppy and the floppy drive works good then you will be fine.
Send me your addy and I will fire it off to you.

Jay

ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 01:00:47 AM »

I sent you a PM.
Thankyou so much, should be more people like you in the world! Smiley
NON73

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »

I have just bought an Emax HD (keyboard version) and everything seemed to be fine until this morning. So far I have been trying out the disks that came with it, all load, and I formatted some of my own. however, when I boot it up it won't boot without a floppy. I have read the manual extensively and it tells me there are options under 'special' that I just don't have, so I can't even run a diagnostic on the hard disk.
I am new to this, only had it for three days so it's probably something really simple- please help!

An old threadbut I commented anyway.

Emax 1 can notboot from HD. It is only Emax 2 which can do this. You need to start your Emaxusing the floppy.
If your HDdon’t start is probably due to 2 reasons.
1) Jumpersettings are wrong: you can open your Emax and check your HD and try to gethold of a manual to your HD.
2) The harddrive is broken, get a new one.

Almost any 50pin SCSI hard drive works. What it depends on is that jumper settings must becorrect. The Emax 1 format only 20 MB of hard disk. It does not matter if youhave a 500 MB HD it format anyway only 20 MB.

I have a 100MB HD in my Emax Plus, which woks great.

How ever theEmax can only have 20 presets on each drive. This means that it can’t use20MB anyway, since the presets is only approximately 512 kb  Roll Eyes

midipuppies

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »

Wow, almost everything you wrote is incorrect.

Emax 1 can notboot from HD. It is only Emax 2 which can do this. You need to start your Emaxusing the floppy.
1) Jumpersettings are wrong: you can open your Emax and check your HD and try to gethold of a manual to your HD.

Almost any 50pin SCSI hard drive works. What it depends on is that jumper settings must becorrect. The Emax 1 format only 20 MB of hard disk. It does not matter if youhave a 500 MB HD it format anyway only 20 MB.

How ever theEmax can only have 20 presets on each drive. This means that it can’t use20MB anyway, since the presets is only approximately 512 kb  Roll Eyes

NON73

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 01:05:00 PM »

What do you mean "Wow, almost everything you wrote is incorrect"?

It has worked for me anyway. Perhaps I have been pure luck.

My Emax, no more than 20 presets on my HD and sampling the memory on an Emax is 512 kb.
I have also had a 500MB HD in it, which I later moved to an ESi-32.
That HD was big time Toasted later when I move it to an e6400. Had a little rush and connected th power supply wires wrong.

Feel free to talk about how to boot from a HD on an Emax.

cheers

NON73

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »

Oh, forgive me  Roll Eyes
 I mean, of course, banks and not presets

It can hold 20 banks with 100 presets (00 to 99) in each bank

cheers

What do you mean "Wow, almost everything you wrote is incorrect"?

It has worked for me anyway. Perhaps I have been pure luck.

My Emax, no more than 20 presets on my HD and sampling the memory on an Emax is 512 kb.
I have also had a 500MB HD in it, which I later moved to an ESi-32.
That HD was big time Toasted later when I move it to an e6400. Had a little rush and connected th power supply wires wrong.

Feel free to talk about how to boot from a HD on an Emax.

cheers

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax won't boot from HD

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines