E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMAX II Memory problem

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:45:32 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax II Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EMAX II Memory problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: EMAX II Memory problem  (Read 25091 times)
JAW

« on: May 15, 2010, 05:34:19 PM »

Hi,

My Emax II has sort of died. At startup it says WARNING! Sound MemorySize Error. Ik can load a sound bank, but it sounds like static. The GRAM test in the hidden menu also gives an error, almost immediately. Can anyone tell me if this is fixable or has my Emax turned into a very heavy (but cool looking) midi keyboard?

Cheers!

midipuppies

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 10:25:09 AM »

Not a good sign my friend.
I would say that you have lost a ICU or two.
How much ram is on board?

The problem is not the problem.
Your attitude toward the problem is the problem.
JAW

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »

Hi,

It's a 2MB with an expansion board with another 2MB. It doesn't matter if the expansion is in or out. Buying a new one is probably cheaper than having this one fixed. The sell for around 125 EUR...

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 01:07:49 PM »

You have a problem : when you put a memory expansion, there is a diskette wich goes with it. This diskette programs an EEPROM in order to give the amount of memory.
If the EEprom is erased (it can happen in per example, you put an S1000 Akai disquette into the Emax by mistake, it will return you this error.
Try to find a disquette, you can duplicate it with an ATARI.
JAW

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 03:08:26 PM »

Hi,

I've been googling, but have not come accross any eeprom disc. They're hard to find because they selfdestruct, right?

Does anyone know where to find such an eeprom disk?

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 09:03:34 AM »

Geeeee... I don't know... But as soon as you have one, find a copier on Akai and make duplicates !!!!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »

Just as a try : could you make a picture of the inside card, especially the place where the memory is !
You may have a bad scratchpad memory. I will edit the pic by photoshop with explanations and put it back here.
JAW

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 12:37:48 PM »

Hi,

I really appreciate your help! I hope you can tell something from the pictures. You can find them on http://www.flickr.com/photos/50282271@N04

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 10:47:42 AM »

Okay...

I need to know wich is the reference of the circuits on the yellow frame.

The circuits having blue and red frames are memories and you can try to swap them, it may help a lot.
At this point, depending of the kind of memory failure, you may either have the same problem, or sound garbage, because some of the memory is used for machine management. But I am not sure, this is why I need to know wich are the yellow ones.

For the picture, go to : http://mapage.noos.fr/dr.c/SCRATCHPAD_a.jpg

Are the yellow ones the same as the others (red/blue) ?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 10:50:03 AM by dr.c » Logged
JAW

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 05:45:13 PM »

I swapped the red and blue ones. Same static sounding garbage. The yelllow ones are different. You can see it in the picture. Do you need more specific info?
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 02:25:32 AM »

Well, at this point, there is no miracle, you need a scope and check the data and adress lines of the memories.
Still the same garbage if you don't put the expansion card ?
JAW

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 03:54:36 AM »

I have a second Emax II that works just fine. It's a newer type and if I remember correrly, all memory chips are fixed to the board. I'll check it tonight. If they're not fixed, I can put them in the other Emax. I'll let you know.

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 03:11:25 PM »

The best way to have two machines dead...
JAW

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 01:10:11 AM »

I prefer two machines alive  Smiley

I made some progress:
I put the red & blue from the working Emax in the not working one. At startup I dont get the sound memory error anymore, but only when I also plug in the memory expansion. However, I still get the screwed up sound (only noise) and in the GRAM diagnostics, I get the following message: is:A960 sb: 1234 ic#??addr:400001. The funny thing is that the red & blue chips work fine in the other Emax. The problem is, that the yellow chips in the working Emax are fixed to the board, so I cannot swap those. I guess I need some professional equipment and knowledge to find out the real problem, right?

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2010, 11:21:53 AM »

Do you get normal sound when you don't put the expansion card ?

You are not clear !

Apparently, a dead chip on the expansion card...
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMAX II Memory problem

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines