E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax sound output too quiet!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:51:54 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emax sound output too quiet!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Emax sound output too quiet!  (Read 11490 times)
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« on: May 19, 2010, 04:49:56 AM »

Hi, if I play my Emax through either an amp or speakers, or even via midi, the sound is so quiet I have to turn everything up to full just to hear it!
I've been told I need to buy a mixer, but after some googling, it seems that synths are supposed to have a high enough level anyway.
The manual mentions nothing about overall volume apart from calibration (which is set to as high as it will go)...so, have I missed a setting or is something wrong? I have tested it with more than one amp and cables.
micromoog

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:35:22 AM »

don't know your amp etc., but put a headphone at the stereo out - if it's loud enough, all will be fine
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:48:21 AM »

On full volume it's at a comfortable level on the earphones..is that correct?

I wish I could get to the bottom of this. I can't record into Logic with it because the output is far too quiet when I plug it into my computer/and or amp.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 06:57:50 AM by ProudEmaxOwner » Logged
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 03:09:33 PM »

THis is strange...
No volume pedal not calibrated correctly, mmmm.... ? Grin
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 12:34:09 AM »

I don't have a volume pedal with it. Do I need one? or should I just buy a mixer?

Sorry for the noob questions. I'm learning as I go along!
micromoog

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 02:09:55 AM »

Your soundcard or audio IO is normally enough.
If you have an insert cable (that means a 1/4" Stereo-Jack goos to 2 Mono Jacks) try this with the stereo-out of the emax.
It's not the normal way, but maybe you can hear then a different level. Maybe it helps to define the problem.
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 05:15:56 AM »

Ok, i just found something out by accident, but I bet I won't be able to explain it properly.
Basically, I'm hooking it up via a midi to USB cable and playing through Kontakt which is where I have all my EII samples, as a midi controller, seeing as I can't get the volume playing it by itself.

I pressed one of the buttons and pressed a key as normal, it started playing a preset bank, some sort of arpeggiator, but using the Kontakt sample and NOT the Emax's own disk voice (which I didn't think was possible, lol)
But here's the thing- when it started to play the arpeg it was LOUD on just that one preset. I went thorough all the other presets on that disk, all quiet (I have approx 20 original Emax floppies).
Am I onto something? I'm sure it's just a setting I've missed?

EDIT: What I should have said was, most of the presets on the Emax factory disks are quiet but some are loud- the arpeggiated ones. Is there a way to make them all loud.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 05:32:04 AM by ProudEmaxOwner » Logged
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:18:21 AM »

Is it an expander, or a keyboard ?

If its a keyboard, take every cable away, MIDI, everything, put only mains and output to an amp.

Power-up the machine without MIDI.  What does it say ?
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »

It's a keyboard. Sorry, what do you mean by 'What does it say?'

The HD is dead by the way, so I'm just loading from disks. Everything appears to be fine, I can get a decent volume through headphones, just not through an amp or speakers unless I turn it to full volume. Someone told me there was a setting under Master, but all I can see there is the calibration for the slider.
When I turn it on, it just says 'Loading Software' because it's looking for the dead HD.
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:39:03 AM »

I've tried everything. All I'm getting is massive hiss off the speakers and miniscule volume. I've plugged the lead into every hole on the back of it just in case, I've gone through the manual...Please, how does everyone else record their emaxes? Just in case I've done something stupid...I have a macbook by the way.

Have I done something wrong, am I using the wrong kind of cable, wrong sockets...pics.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:57:32 AM by ProudEmaxOwner » Logged
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 12:56:41 PM »

Normally, when you start your Emax with a diskette inside the reader, its the diskette wich takes the hand on the hard disk.

Then, you can recalibrtate your fader !
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 02:41:03 PM »

You mean the volume slider? I have already done that, or do you mean another setting?
Well, when I say I did that, I put it to the bottom for lowest and the top for high in master...

Thanks for your help.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 12:41:15 AM »

IMPORTANT : Do you get a big "POP !" when you insert the jack plug into your Emax ? (You obvisouly have to connect the other side of the cable into a mixing consoole or an amplifier...)

If you turn your Emax on its back and take away the metal undercover, check near ther place where the jack plu connects to the board. There must be a circuit named TL084 or TL074. Power your emax for five minutes and then put your finger on the integrated circuit. If you burn yourself, it means the circuit is dead.

Is it an Emax 1, Emax 2 ? Stupid question, forget it...  Grin
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 12:47:32 AM by dr.c » Logged
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 03:21:27 AM »

Yes, i get the pop. Thanks for the advice, I shall take it down my dad's (who used to be an electrician) and get him to have a look at it- I'll report back.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 05:15:34 AM »

I mean, a very big pop !

The explanation is simple : your output ciruit must be bad, the output at -15 or +15V
There is a capacitor to avoid the DC to pass thru, but you still get the charge and the discharge of the capacitor. Normal...

Make a picture, a NICE AND CLEAR ONE of the circuits around the outpu, I will tell you where to look at.

Cheers
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emax sound output too quiet!

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines