E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Arm Sampling problem

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:34:37 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Arm Sampling problem
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Arm Sampling problem  (Read 5415 times)
seamonkey
« on: May 28, 2010, 02:52:46 AM »

I recently had my newly purchased Elll return from the shop and the internal HD sounds sound beautiful.
Last week I experimented doing some sampling just to learn my way around the Elll, everything was working fine. I didn't save anything since they were just test samples.
Yesterday I tried doing some sampling again but I am having trouble with the arm sampling section. Once I have placed my sample settings and threshold(meters show plenty of signal), I move on to the arm sampling mode. Whenever I press enter to activate it, it doesn't do anything other than move to the next empty sample .
I tried using Force sampling and it does the same thing.

The only changes I've made since my original sampling was I copied the software to a floppy as Dr C is always preaching. Smiley

Please help, I'm getting frustrated!
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 05:11:31 AM »

JHey, I told to copy software TO a floppy ! Its just to have a backup, you should even make five copies...

Now, you are starting your machine from the HD, do you ?

Please, empty all the samples of your machine and try again.
seamonkey
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 07:43:55 AM »

JHey, I told to copy software TO a floppy ! Its just to have a backup, you should even make five copies...
YES YES YES...Everyone listen to this man, make as many copies of the OS as possible. Smiley I was lucky I had an extra Verbatim DS/DD left from my Ensoniq VFX-SD to make a copy before making any changes. I've looked locally(US)for the DS/DD disks but all the stores around here only carry HD ones, so I will have to order a few off the Internet.
Also Dr.C, should we make copies of the Backup/Restore? Is that how we save the calibration settings or is that done with the OS save?

Another thing Dr.C has spoken of many times, and that is the ribbon cables, he once again is right. Many of the problems I was having was because of bad ribbon cables. My tech replaced the 4 main ones with low profile ones, because the old ones were high profile and when the case was tightened down they were getting pinched...so that is one of the main things to check first.

As far as the Arm Sampling problem, after some time of working with it this morning, it turns out to be USER ERROR!! yes, that's right..me! Embarrassed
Once the sample was set up and placed I would use the data slider to enter the submodule of Arm Sampling and then hit Enter..instead I simply used the data pad and hit #7 and BAM!!!! sampling can begin.

Thank you again Dr.C for all your help and advice here. Smiley
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 11:00:13 AM »

Thank you, seamonkey, compliments are so rare...

The calibrations are indeed saved when you save the OS !

As far as the Arm Sampling problem, after some time of working with it this morning, it turns out to be USER ERROR!! yes, that's right..me!

It give a human dimension to your genius !   Grin

Thank you again Dr.C for all your help and advice here.

Its a pleasure !
micromoog

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2010, 03:24:04 PM »

Don't throw stones, but...

Sample all with a pc or a mac and a good audio interface (RME...) - that will save time and nerves.
Use emxp! Export then the samples to a EIII-Zip etc.

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 10:39:11 AM »

You are right !
Sampling with an E-Mu, for example, is like working with wood tools of 18th century, nice job, but not practical.
Playing with a PC or Mac is another story...
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 05:55:23 AM »

Yes, but then you won't have the sound of the A/D-converters.

And I do tend to end up with different sounds when I sample with the EIII. Its workflow and Digital Processing tools makes you treat samples differently than you would when you sample with a computer.
seamonkey
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 09:16:05 AM »

I am an old fashioned kinda guy, so I will be sampling directly from the sound source into the Emu and then polishing them off in the Emu.
I do have a few software instruments I'm going to sample from my computer(Oddity)is one, from just a few experimenting I think the addition of the Curtis filter will make it sound even better.

I also have a Tascam 388 Studio 8 reel to reel which I love to record onto, something about being able to turn knobs without moving a mouse excites me.
Of course I still use my DAW, it's nice to have both worlds and I certainly embrace modern technology.
My first days of creating music were in the analog days and it certainly holds a place in my heart. I have 3 analog synths, the Emu, Moog Voyager and the Andromeda and to me, recording an analog into analog preserves the analog realm, of course a little tape hiss adds to it's mystique. Grin
But in the end it all ends up on digital anyway, unless you mix to 2 track reel to reel and burn vinyl.

These types of comments have created more flamewars than those saying Sean Connery wasn't the best Bond. Grin, so I need to be quiet now.

dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 08:56:41 AM »

You are ABSOLUTELY RIGHT !

Many people act like idiots : they design sound with their eyes, at the screen.
When I was the Audioframe engineer and demonstration guy, I used to cut the screen and edit sounds witout it, only with my ears.
People were always lost !

Pfff...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Arm Sampling problem

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines