E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Mixer/Audio interface

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:25:57 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax General Discussion
| | |-+  Mixer/Audio interface
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mixer/Audio interface  (Read 4109 times)
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« on: August 26, 2010, 10:21:21 AM »

Didn't know where to put this so feel free to move. I need a decent audio interface for my Mac running SL, for two synths and a drum machine, and it must have midi. I was looking at the TASCAM-FW1804 which I can get for pretty cheap- I was told to look at the Mackie's, but they are out of my price range. I need the best I can get to play at least 3 things at once for under £200 (gotta save for that EII!)
Help!
alphabyte

« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 03:31:28 PM »

That's a tough one. Do you need to record more than two channels at a time? If not, you could make due with a basic stereo interface and find a decent used analog mixer to bus tracks into the computer. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would look for a mixer/audio interface combination in that price range as a lot of multi channel interfaces can function as basic digital mixers as well.
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 03:07:45 AM »

Hmm...what sort of thing do you think I should go for? That Tascam seemed like a good option, but I don't know enough about the brands to pick out a good one. At the minute I'm making do with my Emax and a midi controller running through different midi channels and i have bloody wires everywhere.
I was surprised when Vince Clarke told me he uses M-Audio, I was told never to touch them with a barge pole...
alphabyte

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 05:05:51 AM »

That might be why he recently tweeted he was having computer issues ;-)

I've had bad experiences with M-Audio. That was before they were purchased by Digidesign/Avid, so things may have improved. At the time, their drivers were very unstable. I was using one in live situations and it was just drop out for a second or two at every show. We finally ditched it for a Motu Traveler.

The Tascam may be just fine. I have no experience with their interfaces. It is probably best to search their support pages and reviews. It is difficult to know what will work best as there are often a number of variables that come into play.

I would simply suggest you find something, like the Tascam, that has the features you need and go with it. You always have to start somewhere and the EII is obviously a higher priority, so, I would say go with it. It all really depends on what your end goals are.

If I were looking for something low cost, I would probably go with the Apogee Duest (however, I believe that is Mac only at the moment) or I would look at what RME has to offer. The Motu stuff is okay. Definitely better than the M-Audio units I have used, but again, that was a number of years ago and I am sure things have improved somewhat.

If you are willing to forgo recording into the computer, you could possibly find a good deal on a decent external Hard Disk recorder. Darwin would be perfect for an E-mu fan. I see them sell regularly for under $200.00 if they have no expansion. It is only 16-bit, but, the feature set is still quite good and very useable if you just want to get your tracks down. Also, you are not distracted by the bells and whistles of the computer if you don't need to be. I sometimes feel like I end up surfing the internet more than I make music.

At the end of the day, you have very specific parameters. I would say, find something that has the best match of features that is in your price range. If you can stick with well respected brands (Tascam does deserve respect), then I think you will be on well on your way.

Cheers!
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:15:05 AM »

Thanks, that was really helpful! I did read a lot of reviews and most of them were good, never considered the possibility of a Darwin either- lots to think about!
Dimensional Space
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 11:40:51 AM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:03:23 PM by Dimensional Space » Logged
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 03:17:59 PM »

Cheers, I'll look into that. Just been offered an EII as well, everything's crossed!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Mixer/Audio interface

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines