E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMXP Errorcode 10: Problem With Emax I Disks

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:55:51 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Emax Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  EMXP Errorcode 10: Problem With Emax I Disks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EMXP Errorcode 10: Problem With Emax I Disks  (Read 8152 times)
ditabeardmemo

« on: September 04, 2010, 07:12:15 AM »

I'm using EMXP 2.09 to make EMX and SoundDesigner bank images of some old Emax I floppy disks. Although EMXP indicates that the floppy disks are valid (it sees bank names, presets, samples and an Emax I operating system), every time I try to extract the banks, I see an Errorcode 10 that reads: "The disk has probably not been formatted for the requested sampler."

Does anyone know more about what might be causing this? Unfortunately I do not own an Emax I to test these disks and see if they are valid.

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
esynthesist
E-mu Software God

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »

That's strange - this error was not assumed to show up  Wink

EMXP succeeds in reading at least some sectors on your disk to display the summary information.
But the problem may be located elsewhere on the disk... resulting in the error 10 (one of the very first errorcodes that have ever been defined in EMXP - FYI: the higher the errorcode, the more recent the error definition has been added to EMXP)

This errorcode 10 indicates that some sectors can not be found on the disk.
So the cause of the problems could be that you are using old disks that have deteriorated.

Some experiments that you can do:
- try EMXP v208 (in v209 some changes have been applied in the disk copy function for Emax, so you never know that a new bug has been introduced...)
- make a disk image of this Emax disk with the OmniFlop wizard: does it also fail, or does it succeed ?
- if it succeeds, perhaps you can send the image to esynthesist at yahoo dot com.

Still my wild guess is that your disks are "dead".

PS: for support or problems with EMXP, you can also e-mail me directly

///E-Synthesist

ditabeardmemo

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:17:30 AM »

Hi Esynthesist:

Thanks for your prompt reply, and sorry for my belated response!

After some additional research, I suspect this particular Emax disk was recycled for use in a Korg O1/W at some point. Although EMXP was able to read some Emax information on the disk (like operating system, bank and sample names, etc.), when I used OmniFlop's format detector to identify the disk, it came back as a Korg. And I was never able to recover a usable disk image from it.

Thanks again for your insight!

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EMXP Errorcode 10: Problem With Emax I Disks

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines