E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Sound designer help!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:26:58 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Sound designer help!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Sound designer help!  (Read 32646 times)
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« on: October 05, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »

Just got my rs422 cable. So I hooked it up to the Mac Classic, attached the zip drive, everything working fine. Midi is on, I open SD- and it says 'Cannot communicate with E2, make sure it's plugged in/Midi is on'. They are! Any ideas?

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:00:36 AM by ProudEmaxOwner » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 08:55:31 AM »

No Midi! No Midi! Turn it off.

Plus: Make sure that you actually use the Serial port (Mac side) that you configured SD with (printer or modem port).
Plus: Make sure to have OS 3.1 running on EII side.
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 09:01:36 AM »

Yeah, I've done all that Sad Still no go. It's probably something really simple, haven't used a Mac like this in 20 years.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:05:42 AM by ProudEmaxOwner » Logged
rtech

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 09:08:10 AM »

Try using another Mac. I have a Mac SE/30 with OS 7.1 and I get the same message, and I also get it with a Powerbook 5300 runing OS 7.5.3. The only one that I get to work is the Mac Qudra 950, regardless what OS I use. I have OS 7.5.? and also 8.0 and it works with both. If you dont have another Mac try changing the OS.

rtech
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 09:10:48 AM »

Nah, the Mac is fine, the guy gave me a full demo. It's something I'm doing wrong.
rtech

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:18:24 AM »

Did you select the correct port on the Calibrate Menu? If you are using the Modem port try the printer and go to Calibrate to select it.

Try also puting the EII in Mac Control from the Special Module. Then go to the mac and try to see if it works.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:20:40 AM by rtech » Logged
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:19:43 AM »

Yes. I tried putting the EII into Mac mode, then when I try and send a bank the Mac locks up.
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 09:23:55 AM »

When I try and send, I can hear a series of low beeps from my speaker which the EII is plugged into, so It's trying to do something...
rtech

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 09:38:16 AM »

My EII is an EII+HD when I go to Send Bank to EII, the EII access the Hard Drive and loads something. Does yours access the FD/HD when you Select the Send Bank Menu? So whom ever you got the Mac From was using it with an EII? Was it with your EII? What OS version is your EII running? You also need to be using the EII Main ROM and Scanner ROM version 2.1 or higher to use it with SD.

ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 10:11:47 AM »

It's a standard EII and I watched the guy send banks when I was there, with this Mac and this EII. I have disks of all the O/S but the one that's in now is 3.1 like I was told to use.
rtech

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »

Ok, the only other thing could be your cable. Check that the cable does not have any bent pins on the Mac side. The pins on the Mini DIN are easily bent. You can also check for continuity with a meter using the Pin assignment on the following page:

http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Archives/Samplers/E2Overview/E2SD/e2sd.html

I made my own cable using the specs listed on that site and therefore know for sure that it works.

rtech
Syncla

my beloved

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 10:58:50 AM »

Hi to GB,

have you remembered, that you have to start up the mac first, and then the E II. If not, the E II doesn´t recognize the mac, and nothing goes on.

The only Answer for all questions is: Emulator

E III Kb ; E IV XT ULTRA ; E-Synth Rack; Emax SE Plus Kb
Dimensional Space
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »

« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 03:03:04 PM by Dimensional Space » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 04:09:15 AM »

If all else fails wave a chicken foot around the EII and Mac Classic before powering on.   This has worked for me
a couple times.   Cheesy

So true  Cheesy
ProudEmaxOwner

EII/Emax owner <3

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2010, 09:07:39 AM »

Ok, well this time, I turned it on, pressed send bank to EII, the EII made a noise and said 'under control of macintosh'. Then it said cannot communicate again. Port is right, it's on 500, nothing is bent...any ideas?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Sound designer help!

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines