E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emu 1 ribbon cables

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:51:47 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EI Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Emu 1 ribbon cables
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Emu 1 ribbon cables  (Read 7016 times)
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« on: October 13, 2010, 10:36:46 AM »

I know that at least one of the ribbon cable connectors of my EI has a pin ripped off.
As I really want to resurrect it, I'm curious, if these kinds of cables still can be found somewhere.
Does anybody know the exact term for those cables (so I can perform a proper search, not just for "ribbon cables")?

Thanks a lot in advance.
lubb

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 02:59:34 PM »

Hi,

why do yo think there is something special about the ribbon cables in E1..? I would say they are normal ribbon cables you can find in any electrical components store... with some crimping tool you can relatively easily construct new cable and replace the damaged one... or maybe replace only the damaged connector (with the broken pin)...

I have also looked into the repair manual, they are talking about "ribbon cables" and "ribbon harnessing"... nothing more.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 11:14:08 PM by lubb » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 06:36:01 AM »

Yeah, but when I search for ribbon cables on ebay, i just get modern IDE cables and stuff like that popping up.
I thought that the E1 cables have been a certain kind of standard back in the days, but what's the name of it?
lubb

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 09:49:30 AM »

Ribbon cables are usually specified by two numbers: the spacing or pitch of the conductors, and the number of conductors or ways. A spacing 1.27 mm is the most usual, allowing for a two-row connector with a pin spacing of 2.54 mm. These types are used for many types of equipment, in particular for interconnections within an enclosure.

Based on availability of standard connectors, the number of conductors is usually restricted to a few values, These include 4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 14, 15, 16, 18, 20, 24, 25, 26, 34, 37, 40, 50, 60, 64 and 80. The wire is usually stranded copper wire, usually either 0.32, 0.20, or 0.13 mm2.

I would not bother with anything else. Even the cables with many wires are very cheap (cca 1 € for a meter...)
alphabyte

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:20:32 PM »

I have been searching for the parts needed to make a custom ribbon cable for a display modification. Digikey and Mouser make it rather difficult to find the parts if you don't know precisely what you are looking for.

I found Jameco to be a bit easier to sort through for ribbon cable and the associated connectors. They make it easy to buy short lengths as well. I have not purchased from them before, but I will soon for these particular items.

I have no preference one way or the other (although I am pleased with Digikey's customer service.) Just my experience trying to source the needed items.

Best of luck with your resurrection efforts!

Cheers
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 06:19:33 AM »

I found Jameco to be a bit easier to sort through
Best of luck with your resurrection efforts!

Thanks a lot, I'll check that.
EdGs

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 10:49:22 PM »

Hi,

The ribbon should be no big problen. Mouser sells the connectors. 151-2P16-E  is the part # for the connectors I believe and the cable is available by the foot @ .91/ft from them also. Part #517-3365/16FT .  It is much cheaper to buy the ribbon cable in a roll. I believe Digi-key has 50' for approx $17. Mouser has 100' for $31. Jameco may be even a little cheaper than that. If you need better part numbers, I can look them up for you.

I am trying to get my machine cleaned up and running, and I think that my ribbons will need replacing due to the moisture issues it had. I just ordered some connectors and some IC sockets for mine to see how they will work if I need them. I'm not sure if I need the wire just yet. I have lots to do to mine before I even reach that point.

Good luck with yours and let me know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Emu 1 ribbon cables

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines