E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - important notes for iomega jaz or zip users

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:16:29 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  important notes for iomega jaz or zip users
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: important notes for iomega jaz or zip users  (Read 2853 times)
wirefall

« on: October 23, 2010, 10:04:22 AM »

Hi folks,

some important findings for iomega stuff users, maybe not everybody is aware of:

A lot of people like zip and/or jaz drives for several reasons. But often people claim about faulty media, lost data and so on.

The solution: Use them with iomega tools / iomegaware. With this very smart software you can check AND refresh your zip/jaz media regarding the read/write-livespan and even the formatting-livespan, it shows up in percent. If livespan is low, just format them and you can use a media again like new, provided the formatting-live-span is still high enough.
Before I used iomega tools I've had several of the obvious suspicious faults with iomega you could easily find in every forum regarding old samplers and so on. For example just make a backup copy from or with a jaz media was more like gambling than a reproducible procedure, bit by bit. Now with this software everything is absolutely fine. I could even bring old and very faulty media back to life via the "refreshing" procedure described above.

The technical explanation behind this story: Every iomega media has got quite several spare sectors. If livespan from the used sectors has become low, iomega tools is able to switch from bad to good (spar-)sectors.

BTW, I use iomega tools 6.4.3 with iomega driver 5.1 on a Mac IIci, Mac OS 7.61

Have fun! Smiley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 10:01:43 AM by wirefall » Logged
Elmbeatz

Official E-Mu Addict

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 07:35:54 AM »

Are those tools also available for system 6.x?
wirefall

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 04:53:32 PM »

Don't think so, as JAZ had been introduced in 1995 and Mac OS 6 is around 1988 til 1990. I cannot check compatibility, as I don't have OS 6. But what about buying an old mac with OS 7, which are rather cheap today?
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - important notes for iomega jaz or zip users

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines