E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Dumb questions about replacing internal HD

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:56:01 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Dumb questions about replacing internal HD
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Dumb questions about replacing internal HD  (Read 2859 times)
viszla-ator

« on: April 01, 2009, 03:13:58 PM »

Hi everybody, I am brand new here and so excited about finding this forum.  You seem like a great crowd.  Of course that makes sense because you are E-mu users.

Short version -- does the internal drive need termination?  does it matter what SCSI ID it is set to as long as it does not conflict with another device?

Long version:

I've been trying to get my EIII back in working order.  It seems to only have one problem -- it cannot boot from the internal drive, and when I boot from a floppy and try to load banks, it gives me either "SCSI Media Error" or "SCSI Hardware Error"

My external CD and HardDrive are all recognized and I can boot from the external no problem.

So I am thinking it is time to replace to the internal drive.  I have a couple that will work.  (Holding off on that wonderful CF solution I read about)

Do I need to terminate the drive?  Does it matter what SCSI ID I give it?  I have looked around on the net and through the posts and have not come across that info.

THANKS!
viszla-ator

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2009, 05:33:58 AM »

Well from what I can find, the internal drive does need to be terminated.  As to scsi ID, I just set the ID of the new drive to the same as the old original drive.

However I've screwed up somewhere  -- it seems like the floppy is not getting power now, or something.  I was doing all this later in the evening last night, so I gave up about 10pm.

Going to see if I can figure out what is what going on later today. 
viszla-ator

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »

Floppy issue - cable running to card in cage needed to be re-seated.

The internal HD has to be terminated, or the EIII won't start up (at least mine won't).

EIII would not see a Quantum 1GB fireball.

I put in a Quantum 700MB Trailblazer - Apple branded, model TR70S026 Rev 01 - A S043C.  I set it to ID2, which was how the original 40mb internal was set up.

The EIII saw it and formatted.  It took about 2 hours to format and verify.  The EIII boots from it, writes banks to it, loads banks from it - everything it outta do.  Now I just got to get it all put back together and start playing.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Dumb questions about replacing internal HD

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines