E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Repairing an EIII in the UK

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:50:16 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Repairing an EIII in the UK
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Repairing an EIII in the UK  (Read 8157 times)
lubb

« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2010, 03:33:35 PM »

The error code list is also in the user manual, but the error message you mention is not listed there.

I am only a hapless dilettante, but I do not think that "dusting" contacts is enough... There might be a strong oxidation on them. When I was rescuing my non-booting EIII, I used a cotton swab damped with a contact cleaner. It quickly became black with dirt!

Please, keep in mind, I cannot guarantee the procedure is technically correct, but it helped to me...  At least I believe so...  Smiley

Be extremely careful when manipulating with anything inside the unit! Above all, follow the "anti-static" rules, and MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT EXCHANGE POSITIONS OF THE RIBBON CABLES GOING TO OUTPUTS ! YOU WOULD BURN CIRCUITS !
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 03:37:07 PM by lubb » Logged
Gordon

« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 03:17:13 AM »

Sorry, I should have made it clear that the contact were bright and shiny, so I didn't want to take the risk of zapping anything unnecessarily. Your advice is good... I labelled all the ribbons and drew a plan before disconnecting, and wore an anti-static wristband.

I'm actually very encouraged by the SYSTEM ERROR !  UND message. I'll try to find a compatible HDD and see what happens next. Does anyone have any suggestions for drives?

Thanks,

Gordon.
lubb

« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 04:03:20 PM »

Proven Drives for an EIII:

Seagate ST51080N 1GB
Maxtor MXT 540S 540MB
Quantum XP31040W 1GB

I have also tried successfully two Quantums ProDrive LPS (100 and 500 MB).

But it could hardly help when your machine is not able to boot from floppy disk based OS...

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Repairing an EIII in the UK

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines