E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Need help w/ Emax I just got on eBay (And EMXP)...

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:07:56 PM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EI Technical Issues / Tips
| | |-+  Need help w/ Emax I just got on eBay (And EMXP)...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Need help w/ Emax I just got on eBay (And EMXP)...  (Read 3994 times)
Bix

« on: November 02, 2010, 01:44:12 PM »

I'm new at using these so be nice Smiley

The seller doesn't normally sell musical instruments but the person they got it from played it for them before they bought it from him.  I'm trying to familiarize myself with it and I'm not sure if the audio inputs and outputs are working.  When I try to sample, the VU meter doesn't move and I don't get any sound from the keyboard when I'm done.  The only disk included is the OS (3.2) disk...should this have some sort of demo bank since the seller said that it was play for them w/o any other disks?  Anyway, how should I troubleshoot this to make sure it does/doesn't work so I know if I need to return it?

Meanwhile, I'm trying to use EMXP to make library sample disks from downloaded images (on disks formatted in the Emax or the computer using OmniDisk's app) but I always get an error message about the disk size being wrong.  I'm using 1.44MB High Density disks.  Do I need older, different capacity disks?  The Emax and OmniDisk don't report any issues when formatting.

Thanks!
-David
ditabeardmemo

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 05:14:34 PM »

Hi David:

1. You posted in the wrong forum. This is the EMULATOR I forum. The Emulator I and the Emax are different devices. A mod needs to move this post to the correct forum.

2. Generally speaking, an Emax does not have any sound banks stored internally. The banks need to be loaded from a floppy disk (which all Emax units have), an external hard disk or an internal hard disk. Only some Emax units have the latter two, and it sounds like yours does not (you would certainly know if it had an external hard disk, at least.) If the seller says the unit was demonstrated without a floppy disk containing a sound bank, then they are probably misleading you. Are you sure there is no bank stored on the OS 3.2 floppy disk?

3. You need double sided/double density floppy disks, DS/DD, which are around 850 kb. You are trying to use a DS/HD floppy disk, which is 1.44 MB.

Hope that helps, and good luck.

DBM

E-mu Emulator II+ HD, Emulator III 8MB, Emulator III Rack 8 MB, Emax II Turbo Rack 8MB, Emax SE HD Plus Rack, Drumulator; Ensoniq ESQm, SQ-80; Waldorf Microwave Rev. A; Oberheim Xpander; Sequential Circuits Pro One; LinnDrum; Kawai R-100; Moog Voyager RME; Roland Juno 60, SH-101, TR-808, TR-909
Bix

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 05:38:46 PM »

1. Whoops, thought I put it in the Emax I forum. Should I do a new post there or just wait for this one to get moved?

2. I know it needs to be loaded from the floppy.  There's a bank on the OS disk but I'm not getting any sound coming out of anything (and it's not detecting anything on the sample input as far as I can tell either).  When I turn off the Emax, I do hear a sound come out the left side of my headphones, though.

3. Aha, like I figured.  Could've sworn that I had read something that said I could use 1.44 MB HD floppies without all of the space available, which was I why I was confused.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - Need help w/ Emax I just got on eBay (And EMXP)...

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines