E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII vs Alchemy 2010 slamfest

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:49:31 AM
Home Help Search Login Register
News: Problems registering? Send an email to: EIII @ telenet.be (without the spaces)

+  E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP
|-+  General Category
| |-+  EIII General Discussion
| | |-+  EIII vs Alchemy 2010 slamfest
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EIII vs Alchemy 2010 slamfest  (Read 6314 times)
potscrubber

« on: November 03, 2010, 07:16:58 PM »

Hi Folks

I've just bought an old Powerbook, and put on Alchemy 3 that I got off the EII yahoo group.  ScsiProbe can see the EIII on the SCSI buss.  But Alchemy can't find it, says check cables etc.

In the network / instrument setup, although SCSI is selected as the interface, there are still a few midi options.  I thought Alchemy ONLY used the SCSI buss with EIII.  Does it need a midi connection also?  Is anyone using it and does anybody know ?  The All the ID's and termination etc are correct.

BTW, same result with K2000. ScsiProbe can see it, Alchemy can't. 

Any help appreciated.

pot.
lubb

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 10:15:40 AM »

Yes, once I have tried EIII with Alchemy3 running on Mac Classic II, it worked seamlessly.  EIIIX and SP1200 worked as well.  

Now I have tried again, it works. Please, check the configuration of the instrument: Network > Instrument > Edit. You should see Sampler: EIII, Interface: SCSI, SCSI ID# must be set to the same value as EIII ! MIDI ports are not used with EIII.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 11:34:22 AM by lubb » Logged
potscrubber

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 04:05:53 PM »

Hi lubb

Thanks for replying.  No....  Alchemy doesn't seem to see any scsi on my powerbook.  I set the ID in the instrument network to the EIII's ID.  Shame...  maybe I need to update the scsi drivers for the mac.  Or maybe the Alchemy needs to be installed properly (this is just a download of the program off yahoo groups).  Anyone have the install Smiley)   Huh

pot
lubb

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 04:14:49 PM »

I have the same download, from Yahoo G. It works. Try your Powerbook with another SCSI device, CD-ROM, for example.

Are you sure there is no SCSI IDs conflict..? No two SCSI ID numbers are allowed to be the same...  Mac uses ID#7 and ID#0 (usually) for its internal HD. EIII must be set to different numbers (sampler and its internal HD).  

Do you have the "Mac on SCSI Bus" turned ON.. (EIII) ?
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:08:30 AM by lubb » Logged
potscrubber

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 06:21:30 AM »

I have the same download, from Yahoo G. It works. Try your Powerbook with another SCSI device, CD-ROM, for example.

Ok, I'll try it with an HD.

Are you sure there is no SCSI IDs conflict..? No two SCSI ID numbers are allowed to be the same...  Mac uses ID#7 and ID#0 (usually) for its internal HD. EIII must be set to different numbers (sampler and its internal HD).  

100% Positive. Like I said, ScsiProbe on the mac shows every device and id.
1=CF Card (EIII)
6=EIII
7=MAC

Do you have the "Mac on SCSI Bus" turned ON.. (EIII) ?

Where is that switch?  I've only seen it in an E4.....

thanks lubb.
pot.
lubb

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 03:05:34 PM »

So sorry,  the "Mac on SCSI" switch is not present in EIII... I have confused it with EIIIX...  Embarrassed
dvdborn
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »

I'm running Alchemy 3 on a PowerBook G3 with SCSI and it works like a charm.
I also have a setup with a PPC 7100 with a G3 upgrade and that also works.

For me, it only works when only the EIII and the computers are directly connected without any other SCSI stuff between them.

What OS version are you running?

Did you properly configured the EIII device setup in Alchemy?
potscrubber

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 03:25:20 PM »

Hi again

Yeah Alchemy is properly configured.  I'm on 8.6. I just got this PB so I'm thinking maybe there's an extension conflicting like iomegaware which is installed.  I'll uninstall all that gubbins and see what happens.  Like I said, ScsiProbe sees the EIII.  So it's a bit mysterious.  thanks all.

pot.
lubb

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2010, 08:13:44 AM »

If the above does not help, check also this: Mac and an EIII A Mac and an EIII can be interconnected at opposite ends of the SCSI chain. You need the EIII OS 2.42 and the Version 2.0 boot PROM, to get this configuration working well.

Check also the SCSI cable. It should be a high quality cable (all pins connected), with total length under 12 feet.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 08:16:39 AM by lubb » Logged
potscrubber

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 06:47:17 PM »

AWRIGHT AWRIGHT AWRIGHT

Turning off virtual memory was the key. A'm all good now. Hey this is my first mac!!   Grin 
Well, except Alchemy won't let me resynth a sound bigger than 32k samples.  You guys have this?   Huh

pot.
dr.c
E-mu Doctor

I'm a hot dog !

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 10:37:44 AM »

Hi !

What do you mean by "resynth" ? Can you be specific and describe, please ?
potscrubber

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010, 11:45:59 AM »

Hi !

What do you mean by "resynth" ? Can you be specific and describe, please ?

Alchemy has a "resynthesis" function that transforms samples, to some degree.  I haven't spent much time with it.  It won't have a go at any sound larger than 32k samples.  Soundhack has similar small head room for complex processes.  I guess this is why we use new computers and software aye?!  I'm not 100% sure why I got obsessed with having a working Alchemy with the EIII. 

pot.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

E-mu Emulator Sampler User Forum for the EIII EII EI and EIII XP - EIII vs Alchemy 2010 slamfest

SEO light theme by © Mustang forums. Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines